PowerVault

Last reply by 07-06-2022 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

PowerVault MD3200 lockdown recovery and firmware upgrade problem

Hello friends,

I am facing a problem with a MD3200 storage. This unit was not used for some time and all the drives used in it before were removed. I want to use it now but the array is in a problem. It reports "The storage array is in Recovery Mode" . I wanted to clear the configuration but the only option I have there is to upgrade the firmware and when I try to upgrade, it says the firmware in incompatible. Failure number 434.

I tried several versions of firmwares. Current firmware is 7.84.44.60. Whichever firmware I try it says it is not compatible. I have unziped all before trying to uploading to the controller.

What should I do? 

Best Regards.

Replies (29)

Hello @spaxton,

Ok, so the error message says "The storage array is in Recovery Mode". This normally is caused by a lockdown status.

What you can do is to use a serial cable and connect the serial cable to the Controller. Use putty to see output. Reboot it and capture the boot text. That will offer more information about the error.

You can also use the command lemClearLockdown via the serial cable connected to the affected controller and that should clear the error.  

Regards.

Diego López
Social Media and Communities Professional
Dell Technologies | Enterprise Support Services
#Iwork4Dell

Did I answer your query? Please click on ‘Accept as Solution’
‘Kudo’ the posts you like!

Hello ,

After a long time after I gave up on this, I decided to try searching the web and, believe it or not, this post was offered among the search results. I gave up back then because it looked too complicated to me...

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to do this because these controllers won't accept commands. I get some response when I press CTRL + Break but pressing S gives only black background terminal. Please check my screenshots from both controllers. They give different errors and both of them does not respond when I enter S. Serial port was configured 115200-8-n-1.

What am I missing? Can You help?

Best Regards,

md3200-1.pngMD3200-2.png

Hello spaxton,

Do you know if the firmware is the same on both?

Have you updated the firmware?

Can you try unseating one of the controller and try access the console with just the other controller?

Please let me know how it goes.

Dell -Charles R
#IWork4Dell

Did I answer your query? Please click on ‘Accept as Solution’. ‘Kudo’ the posts you like!

Hello Charles,

Thank You very much for replying,

Both firmware are the same. I did not upgrade the firmware

I tried unseating and accessing just one of them, but it reads the same state as on pictures.

Do you have any other ideas?

Respectfully, 

Spaxton

Hello Spaxton,

I'm sorry to see that. Unfortunately there are a lot of factors for this particular issue. At this point would need to engage backline support.  We can only use the shelluser login on the backline support.  Front line techs such as myself do not have access to these. They will have to figure out which controller has the corrupt db lockdown on it and then have to do specific shell user commands in a specific order based on what is revealed.  It is recommended to call in 1-800-945-3355 (for US/Canada) to set up a normal SR case.

Are you still under warranty?  

What country are you located?

Dell -Charles R
#IWork4Dell

Did I answer your query? Please click on ‘Accept as Solution’. ‘Kudo’ the posts you like!

Charles, thank You very much!

The device warranty has expired and I am located in Montenegro. The device was bought on auction with a bunch of servers with it. Some other devices in the bunch were also faulty but it was easy to solve. This one would be great to complete a virtualization platform for testing purposes but it seems I will have to bin it if no support can be given.

Anyway, thanks again.

With kind regards from Montenegro...

By the way...

I don't get it why I can't just reset it to factory defaults? I don't care about the previous configuration.

Hello Spaxton,

I provided the recommended guidance, but if you want, you can try to delete things in MSDM to see if it will allow you access, but typically it locks down the controllers so you can't make changes until it is cleared. It will require backend support engaged on a screen share session to work through it.

You may also contact support https://dell.to/2QuvDGm  and inquire about Post Standard Support.

Dell -Charles R
#IWork4Dell

Ok, Many thanks for help. I will try the support link.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor