Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

April 1st, 2018 11:00

PowerVault MD3200i Hyper Terminal configuration I cannot change the IP

Hello everyone

I have a problem with my SAN Dell powervault MD3200i.

Actually I don't know the admin password for the web interface but I guess it is the default one. 

But to access to the web interface I need to put an IP on each controller.

I plugged the console cable (PS2 to DB9) but in the console when I go to configure IP and I try to configure the IPV4 in manually or in DHCP it says failed do you have an idea why ?

When I continue I have the question to configure the speed I configure auto negociation but it said I have to reboot to apply those modification (is it only only the controller who will reboot or the entire SAN) is it risky ?
Actually it is a production SAN and the last IT dismiss and left no documentation. I am new and I have to find a solution pretty fast.

Thank you very much

• 

6.9K Posts

April 2nd, 2018 09:00

Hello titom7986,

When you are trying to set the ip address using the serial connection are you setting the IP address, Subnet mask and gateway or just setting the IP address?  Once you have set the IP address you will need to reboot the controller to access using the new IP address.  If your virtual disk has access to both controller you can reboot the controllers one at a time.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

3 Posts

April 6th, 2018 03:00

Hello

Thank you for your answer.

I just tried to put the IP without the mask and the gateway.

what I have to put and enter ?
Actually we have also a problem on one Dell server, so all the virtual machines are going to be migrate to another server.

My idea it is to reset the SAN configuration (all configuration) update the firmware (I don't know how) and to re-configure the SAN.

After for the server I will delete all the HDD and install ESXi 6.5 on a USB key.

Do you have any advice ?

Thank you

• 

6.9K Posts

April 6th, 2018 06:00

Hello titom7986,

When your login using the serial cable, you will select option 2 (Change IP Configuration) & it will ask you to set the IP address, Subnet Mask, & Gateway. 

Here are the steps to access your controllers via serial:

1. Startup a terminal emulation program like PuTTY, Tera Term, Minicom, or HyperTerminal using terminal settings 115200-8-n-1.
  2. Send a from the terminal shell. To do this, use within HyperTerminal or PuTTY, or use from within Minicom on Linux systems.
    • When prompted for input within five seconds, press for the service interface menu.

NOTE: The command is case-sensitive.

1. The user will then be prompted for a password. The password is: supportDell
  2. The menu options available are:

1) Display IP Configuration

2) Change IP Configuration

3) Reset Storage Array (SYMbol) Password

1. Q) Quit Menu

You can reset the system if you want to if the current configuration is not working as you need.  It is always a good to make sure that your firmware is up to date as well.  Here is how to do a firmware upgrade. 

Here are the steps to do a firmware upgrade just in case you need them.

If your current firmware is not 7.75.28.60 A06 8/3/11 – you MUST step to 7.75.28.60 before going to 07.80.62.60. This firmware is included with the 07.80.62.60 download.

1. Gather support bundle in MDSM
  2. WARNING: If you have a single controller PowerVault MD3200/MD3600 series storage array you must stop all I/O operations before starting the firmware upgrade.
  3. Extract the firmware to folders and remember location.
  4. Burn or mount the ISO for the resource cd.
  5. Uninstall the MDSM from hosts (reboot)
  6. Install MDSM from resource DVD (reboot)
  7. Save, then clear the Event Log.
  8. Update to 07.75.28.60 if not already there, then update to latest firmware.
  9. Verify connection and data.
  10. Update the hard drive firmware.
  11. Reboot stack and verify all is optimal.
  12. Power off server, then MD32xxi, then any attached MD12xx units
  13. Power on any attached MD12xx units
  14. Wait at least two minutes then power on the MD32xxi
  15. Wait at least 3 minutes then power on the server

Please allow for at least 60-85 minutes for the updates.  Time may vary depending on how long each reboot takes.

3 Posts

April 7th, 2018 03:00

Hello

Thank you for your answer. First I never do that before and I don't know a lot about Dell SAN.

Actually there is no IP so I have to put one. But you are talking about MDSM is it the software to manage Dell SAN, I have to install on a server ?
It is not possible to connect directly to each controller using IP address with a web browser ?

I don't know what is the firmware update actually and don't know how to find that information and I don't know where I can download the firmware and have documentation about updating the firmware.

Last question what is a MD12xx units ?

Thank you very much I am sorry I don't know a lot about Dell and with the configuration in my company (I am a new and I have no documentation the last Admin left and I cannot contact him)

• 

6.9K Posts

April 9th, 2018 07:00

Hello titom7986,

You use MDSM to manage your MD3200i.  You can install MDSM on any windows host. No, it is not possible to manage your MD3200i using just the IP address of the management port.  Here is the link to the Resource DVD which you can use to install MDSM. http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=R9G1X

An MD1200 is more of a DAS system.  They are like the MD3200i, but the biggest difference is that the MD1200 use a PERC controller in the server to configure your Virtual disk.  On an MD3200i the controller is in the chassis of your MD3200i.

No Events found!