Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 16th, 2015 01:00

PowerVault NX3100

Hi,

Does this server support on windows server 2012?

thanks,

Jess

February 25th, 2015 12:00

Hello, Jess. The NX3100 is supported with only the OS that came on it. If there is any alteration of that OS, then ONLY the hardware will be supported. If you're needing to reinstall the OS, you can find the instructions for doing so here: downloads.dell.com/.../powervault-nx3100_Administrator%20Guide_en-us.pdf

That being said, it is possible to install WS2012, just know that it hasn't been tested and  validated with that machine. Performance and functionality can't be guaranteed, but it's possible. The NX3100 is based off of the R510 server. If you were to install 2012, you could probably find the various needed drivers from looking at our support site for the R510.

Let me know if you have any questions. Have a great rest of the day!

54 Posts

April 15th, 2015 07:00

my server has microsoft storage 2008 server standard. can it be upgraded to microsoft storage 2012?

April 16th, 2015 09:00

Hello, Jess.

Essentially, the NX3100 is sold as an appliance. So, it's not designed to be a full 'server' in that sense. It's sold with an operating system, and that's the only operating system that is supported on that box.

If you were to call in with a software issue on that box after upgrading the OS, the support analysts would likely request that you 'reimage' with the original image. (2008)

That being said, is it possible? Yes. You are able to install whatever you wish, just know that it falls outside the boundaries of support, and will limit your options for help with software issues.

I hope that answers your question. Let me know if you need anything.

54 Posts

April 21st, 2015 07:00

Hi Daniel,

what about windows server 2008 R2? The original OS is Windows storage server 2008 standard only.

April 22nd, 2015 13:00

Hey, Jess.

Basically, Windows Storage Server 2008 is the only validated operating system for your appliance. Specifically that image disk that came with it is the only validated operating system for your appliance.

None other will be considered validated for software support.

No Events found!