Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 20th, 2014 13:00

PowerVault NX3200 (New) Change from RAID 5 to RAID 6

I have a New Dell PowerVault NX3200 which arrived a couple of weeks ago.  I ordered it with RAID 5 (12 X 4 TB SAS).  Within the next couple of weeks my new Rack should be wired up so that I can power on the PowerVault NX3200 for the first time.

Question:  I have decided that I would rather have RAID 6 instead of RAID 5 so that I can tolerate two (2) drive failures rather than just one (1) drive failure.  Is it easy to make this change?  I have seen several YouTube videos which go through several examples of deleting RAID Arrays and creating new RAID Arrays with Dell PERC RAID.

Note:  The slight decrease in storage space which results from going from RAID5 to RAID6 does not matter since I will still have lots of storage space for my needs.

Thanks in Advance.

• 

6.9K Posts

February 21st, 2014 05:00

Hello The Kid7,

You can change the raid level from 5 to 6 on the NX3200 & it is pretty easy to do. Here is a link to the users guide for the PERC card that is in the system. If you look on page 39 it explains how to setup a new virtual disk in the raid controllers bios. ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/Common/poweredge-rc-h310_User%27s%20Guide_en-us.pdf

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

No Events found!