Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 28th, 2009 07:00

Problem with a new LUN on a MD3000i

Hi folks.

I have a MD3000i which I recently added another volume on. The first volume is LUN 1 and the new is LUN 2, the access LUN is still 31. From my three ESX 3.5 servers I can "see" the new volume without problem, but on my Windows Server 2003 R2 sp2 64 bit server I can only see the first LUN. Due to this I guess that I have a problem with the iSCSI initiator on this server.

The second LUN was added to the same host group as the first LUN, where my three ESX servers and the Windows 2003-server resides.

Any idea about this? I´ve tried to remove the configuration for the iSCSI initiator, rebooting, and added it again, but all I see is the first LUN. This server manages the backups using VMware Consolidated Backup, VCB.

Thanks for your input on this.

/Göran

September 28th, 2009 08:00

The visible LUN (LUN 1) is displayed as "Healthy (unknown partition), but that´s good enough for me, as long as VCB manages to back up the virtual machines.BTW, it is ESX 3.5 if it matters.

/Göran

9.3K Posts

What is the size of the LUN? ESX (3.x or 4.0) can only use LUNs up to a size of "2048GB minus 512 bytes". So if your LUN is 2048GB or larger, you'll get unpredictable behaviour; I've seen ESX servers not see the LUN at all, or see the LUN under the controller (iSCSI initiator), but when you select that you want to format it, it doesn't see it as a possible disk to format.

The first LUN is 1.089 TB RAID 5 and the second is 1,32 TB also RAID 5. The filesystem on both LUNs are VMFS...

October 5th, 2009 23:00

Ok. Problem solved by coincidence. When installing the Dell Modular Disk Storage Manager the MD3000i failed over to the second iSCSI-controller and then the new LUN became visible. Later I failed back again and it is still visible.

/Göran

No Events found!