Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 7th, 2010 08:00

Question on preferred path / disk groups

Currently have two VM servers, two disk groups, and two virtual disks (one in each group).  The two VM servers are assigned to their respective disks.  For the preferred path, each disk has been assigned to one of the two raid controllers.  I previously had both servers (via isci) looking at all of the iscsi targets (both ports of both raid controllers) and noticed that when I went to connect server 2 to its disk, the disk would show but would error out when I went to make partitions and mount it.  Eventually I said lets remove the references(isci targets) to the raid controller that was the preferred path for server 1 from server 2.  Once I did that, everything worked fine.

My question would be, is there a proper configuration that would allow both servers to utilize both raid controllers and provide redundancy should one of the controllers fail, or will the server only be allowed to work with the controller that has been assigned as the 'preffered path' to the virtual disk?

3 Posts

September 7th, 2010 09:00

- Hyper-V Server 2008 R2

- Currently dedicated switch, but we will be creating vlans

- MD3000i

9.3K Posts

September 7th, 2010 09:00

A bit more info wouldn't hurt.

- OS?

- network connection type? direct-attached, dedicated vlan(s) or dedicated switch(es)

- SAN model? MD3000, MD3000i, MD3200, MD3200i, MD3220, MD3220i

9.3K Posts

September 8th, 2010 07:00

Were you able to install MDSM (at least the host software)? Hyper-V server isn't supported as it won't properly install the multipathing DSM in this OS. If you were able to get it to install anyway, check that the server has connectivity to both raid controllers (via iSCSI). If not, add at least one connection to the other controller.

For long term use, you'll want to upgrade to Windows 2008 R2 (core or full) and enable the hyper-v role, and then install MDSM.

If you're looking for a free hypervisor, I'd suggest to go with ESXi (4.0 as 4.1 hasn't been added to the support matrix yet) from VMware. This OS is supported, has a much more refined UI, and doesn't require the MDSM host software as it's native MPIO drivers are compatible with this unit.

No Events found!