Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 20th, 2020 05:00

Replacing controller of powervault MD3220i

Hello Everyone,

I want to replace an faulty controller of one of our powervaults. I didn't find any helpful messages that answered my question.

The question: Can the faulty controller be pulled out of the powervault and be replaced with the new one?
Will this new controller sync up with the old one automatically or are there some extra steps to be done?

Kind regards,

Bjorn ten Hoeve

• 

631 Posts

July 20th, 2020 11:00

Hi Bjorn,

What you will want to do is to remove the bad controller and then insert the new controller.  Once the new controller has been inserted give it about 10 minutes to sync with the current controller before bring it online.  When the new controller is syncing it is going to match the firmware of the current controller as well as will copy the configuration to the new controller of all your virtual disk info.  There is normally no down time needed, but you do want to limit I/O as much as possible.  You don’t need to remove the SD card on the controller as all the data will be copied from the current working controller. 

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

13 Posts

August 3rd, 2020 06:00

Hi,

It's clear to me now, thank you for your answer.

Something came up in my head today: Do I need to put an SD card in the controller?

Regards,

Bjorn

• 

631 Posts

August 3rd, 2020 10:00

If there isn’t one in there, yes that would be best.

2 Posts

January 13th, 2021 00:00

Hi may I ask if two controller fails what will happen? Is it possible to replace on of the controller and can still retrieve the current config and settings. The replacement controller came from another working MD3220i

4 Operator

• 

2.7K Posts

January 13th, 2021 01:00

Hello @ramir,

I am afraid not. If both Controllers failed there is no data vailable for configuration recover.

Regards.

2 Posts

January 13th, 2021 21:00

May I know possible solution

4 Operator

• 

2.7K Posts

January 14th, 2021 02:00

Hello again @ramir,

Can you offer me some more informationa bout the error you have on your MD? How the issue was caused and which troublehsooting steps did you follow so far.

If both controllers failed. Normally, you will have to replace both controllers and then recreate the configuration manually. Most probably data will be compromised, but that will depend on how the MD failed.

I would suggest you to contact your local Dell Support (I can help you to find the phone number) and request a ticket for troubleshooting.

Regards.

No Events found!