Highlighted
2 Bronze

Replacing controller of powervault MD3220i

Jump to solution

Hello Everyone,

I want to replace an faulty controller of one of our powervaults. I didn't find any helpful messages that answered my question.

The question: Can the faulty controller be pulled out of the powervault and be replaced with the new one?
Will this new controller sync up with the old one automatically or are there some extra steps to be done?

Kind regards,

Bjorn ten Hoeve

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Replacing controller of powervault MD3220i

Jump to solution

Hi Bjorn,

What you will want to do is to remove the bad controller and then insert the new controller.  Once the new controller has been inserted give it about 10 minutes to sync with the current controller before bring it online.  When the new controller is syncing it is going to match the firmware of the current controller as well as will copy the configuration to the new controller of all your virtual disk info.  There is normally no down time needed, but you do want to limit I/O as much as possible.  You don’t need to remove the SD card on the controller as all the data will be copied from the current working controller. 

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi Bjorn,

What you will want to do is to remove the bad controller and then insert the new controller.  Once the new controller has been inserted give it about 10 minutes to sync with the current controller before bring it online.  When the new controller is syncing it is going to match the firmware of the current controller as well as will copy the configuration to the new controller of all your virtual disk info.  There is normally no down time needed, but you do want to limit I/O as much as possible.  You don’t need to remove the SD card on the controller as all the data will be copied from the current working controller. 

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hi,

It's clear to me now, thank you for your answer.

Something came up in my head today: Do I need to put an SD card in the controller?

Regards,

Bjorn

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

If there isn’t one in there, yes that would be best.

0 Kudos