Holzriders
1 Copper

SCV3020 data progression & diskpools

Hi,

Got a brand new SCV3020 with 7 SSDs and 15 SAS Disks.

In order to make auto-tiering work, i will have to create one single Disk-pool which contains all disks in the SAN.
Set up the RAID levels according to the propositions the system gives me.
Right?

Also, in case i want to expand diskspace, i only have to add another disk (of either same SAS type or same flash type) and the system will automatically add it to the pool? I'm wondering how this process will effect the LUNs (or Sub-LUNs). Does my Hypervisor simple get bigger LUNs automatically or do i have to create another LUN?

Thank in advance. And sorry, i suppose this is a complete beginner question
best regards,

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: SCV3020 data progression & diskpools

Hello Holzriders,

Here is the link to the SC Administrator guide, if you look on page 49 it explains about how data progression works.  https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/dell-storage-manager_administrator-guide3_en-us.pdf

Since you have 2 types of hdd’s in your SCv3020 you will want to use tier storage.  You can create one storage type for all or you can have 2 storage types.  You can find this information on page 296 of the same guide.   

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

DELL-Sam L
Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Origin3k
3 Silver

1. Yes.
You dont setup RAID levels directly. Because you have two different type of Disks the System will place the fastest ones in TIER1 and the slowest into TIER3.  For these TIERs you will configure the number of disk failures you wanna survive... Single Redundancy for surviving a single disk failure which ends in RAID10 and RAID5 or Dual Redundancy which ends up as RAID10DM and RAID6. You can change it later..... but be smart and think about before start placing your data on the system.

2. If and into which pool a new disk is placed depends on the configuration and on your SCOS/Modell. In the past there was an Unassigned Folder. Somewhere in the docs/release notes they mentioned that it goes into a used default folder.

Adding a disk only adds more capacity to the system and increase the free space area. Than you need to expand an existing Volume, Rescan for disk changes on the Host and expand the existing Host Filesystem (NTFS/Windows or VMFS/ESXI).  Addings a disk needs only a few seconds... but the rebalancing for the existing data can took some time(its a background process). The new space is immediately available.

If we setup a System with 30 slots with different types and less disks than slots we rearrange the disks so that we have a hole in the middle.

If you install the CITV you will get an plugin for the webclient in vsphere vcenter which can help in creating new datastore or expanding existing one because the plugin orchestrate all steps including these which needs to be done on the SAN.  Note! CITV 4./5.0 dont run with vcenter 6.7.x. We have to wait until SCOS 7.4 is released next month.

Regards
Joerg

0 Kudos
Holzriders
1 Copper

Thank you Joerg,

that's exactly what i needed.

The user manual is alright, but it doesn't provide you with a guideline or a best practice. At least not for me.

Leaving some gaps (free slots) between flash an sas drives also make sense.

But i did read somewhere, that you should never remove/swapping disks without informing support first?

Best regards and thx again!

0 Kudos
Origin3k
3 Silver

Well.... if you would like to remove a disk from a SC because you would like to place it into another slot or enclosure you have to tick the "Release Disk" button first  so that the SC can evacuate all data away. If the disk is empty the SC mark the disk as "ready to remove" and place it into the unassigned folder.

If you rip of the disk (with or without data on) the SC will mark the disk as faulty and you cant put it into action again. Yes... than you need to call CoPilot or today ProSupport and need to explain what you have done and support will check the disk and mark them as healthy again.

Technicly you dont need the gap and it doesnt matter where you have placed the discs within a enclosure. But i am a fan of grouping simlar things together and i dont like "chaos".

Regards
Joerg

0 Kudos
Holzriders
1 Copper

Hey,

yeah i understand, i'm also picky about those little OCD moments, like to group everything as properly as possible. Thanks again, you helped me a lot.

One last question if may: Correct me if i'm wrong.

As i'm only deploying 1x single Storage, i will do the basic setup wizard with the Storage center software (MGMT IP, NTP, etc). But after that, i "could" directly connect to the Unisphere HTML5 frontend for the rest, right?

Thanks again man, you're my hero

0 Kudos