Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 5th, 2009 02:00

SMprovider DR Watson error

Hi,

I have jtually vust installed a new 2 node dell A/P cluster with MD3000 as shared storage. I have installed the MDSM on both nodes and run the cluster reg etc. The install guide said to install the VSS provider if any other VSS aware app are installed. As we are using Symantec System Recovery option (8.0) I installed the Dell VSS package. Now whenever the SRO is invoked the SMprovider errors (DR Watson). Do I really need this as we are only using VSS to backup the nodes local disks and no volumes on the MD3000?

Many thanks,

Gerry

154 Posts

August 5th, 2009 13:00

If you are not using any of the Virtual disks on the MD3000, then I assume you will not need the SMprovider. I believe you only need the SMProvider if you are planning to backup to the MD3000 etc.

-Mohan

104 Posts

August 7th, 2009 04:00

The SMprovider software is the hardware VSS provider.

- If you do not have the Snapshot/Virtual Disk Copy premium features on the MD3000 array then you should uninstall the SMprovider.

- If you have the premium features installed then I would recommend the following :
1) Verify that you have installed any MS VSS/VDS updates
2) Run the VDS/VSS Provider Configuration executable file, or double-click it in a file
    browser. The name of this file is SMRegTool.exe and its default location is
    "Program Files\SMprovider\provider" on a 32-bit machine or
    "Program Files (x86)\SMprovider\provider" on a 64-bit machine.

Here is a link to a readme for the SMprovider http://www.lsi.com/DistributionSystem/AssetDocument/documentation/storage/systems/management_software/README-Installing_and_Using_SM_VDS_VSS_970.txt

One last thing..... If and when you update the MDSM software and Firmware of the MD3000 you will need to make sure to update to the latest version of the SMprovider also found on the resource CD.

Regards,
-cjtompsett

129 Posts

August 7th, 2009 08:00

Many thanks, we dont have those features licenced or active so I'll uninstall.

Regards,

G.

No Events found!