Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 2nd, 2012 12:00

Seeking advise

Hi,

Looking for a backup solution to replace our PV120T tape. I am ended up with DL2300 appliance with tape option. Do anybody have experience with this appliance? Currently i can keep the backup of 15 days. How many days' backup can the appliance keep? In other words, can I restore a file from its 30 days back copy?

What is the difference between DR4000 and DL2300 appliances? how they differ in functionality?

My backup objects are VMs, SQL, Exchange, Oracle (linux), Sharepoint. My datastore is in a Equallogic PS 6000. What backup appliance is recommended for this scenario with an investment protection for atleast 4 to 5 years?

Thanks for your help.

Regards

9.3K Posts

November 2nd, 2012 15:00

The time a backup solution like the DL2300 or DR4000 can keep is dependent on how much storage you buy and how much you back up (per day/week/month).

If you buy 10TB and on average create 100GB/week in backups, you can keep 10,000/100 = 100 days. However, if you generate 2TB/week in backups, 10TB obviously only lasts 5 days weeks.

77 Posts

November 3rd, 2012 00:00

Thank you,

How is the backup concept in DL or DR appliances, are they same structure of Full, differential or incremental method?

Any Idea on the difference between DR and DL appliances? do they support direct iscsi backups and linux databases?

Thanks for your support

203 Posts

November 3rd, 2012 09:00

The DR4000 is really a different animal.  It came as the result from aquisitions a couple years ago.  It incorporates the filesystem from Exanet, and the dedupe & compression from Ocarina.  The result is an amazingly simple solution for a backup target.  Just create a share on it (it can be either a CIFS share or NFS mount), and point your backups there.  Certified under Veeam, Symantec, etc.  Look for some interesting things in the future from this product as well.  

77 Posts

November 3rd, 2012 23:00

What are the pros and cons on both (DR4000, DL2300)? To which scenario are they most advised?

No Events found!