Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

3 Posts

January 17th, 2019 15:00

TL2000 Bad Tape / Invalid Cartridge / Incompatible Media

Hi there,

We have a TL2000 unit with an IBM ULTRIUM5 drive that was working without issues for years until about a week ago. At that time, we had a backup job fail mid-run due to some file sources going offline unexpectedly. Not a big deal, as we brought everything back up and tried running the backup job again.

However, attempting to run any sort of backup task now results in the job hanging indefinitely at the Queued stage. Nothing ever gets backed up, and I'm forced to cancel the job. But wait, there's more!

Running an erase job on any tape fails with error code 0xe000821e (Library error - incompatible storage media detected in robotic library).

Running a cleaning job on the drive also fails: 0xe000810d (Physical Volume Library Media not found).

When I log on to the web management interface, the Inventory page is showing all tapes marked with "Bad Tape" and a red X. Performing a diagnostics system test returns an "Invalid cartridge - Code 63" response.

When trying to run tests through the TL2000 front panel (e.g. drive test, system test), every single one fails with the message "Inv. Cartridge". The tapes are the exact same ones that we had been using before, so I don't suspect it's a case of bad media.

The tape library and drive are both running the latest firmware (E.70 + H971). I have powered down the entire unit, unplugged the power, and powered back on - didn't help. I took out the drive to check if a tape is stuck inside - there isn't. I've rebooted the host server and restarted Backup Exec services, to no avail. Also tried enabling and disabling barcode rules - again, with no success.

If anyone can shed some light on this issue, that would be appreciated! I have a drive dump ready to go.

Thank you,

D

• 

6.9K Posts

January 18th, 2019 07:00

Hello Dynacor,

I will send you a private message so that you can send me the drive dump log.  Can I also get you to send me the dump all log as well?  Here is how to get the dump all log. https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln249113/tl2000-tl4000-how-to-collect-the-tape-library-and-drive-diagnostic-logs-dumpall-for-troubleshooting?lang=en

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

• 

6.9K Posts

January 21st, 2019 13:00

Hello Dynacor,

Thanks for the drive dump logs as it helps to looking into your issue.  The error that the drive is reporting is a LOD_FSC_SRV_BOTTOM_SENSOR_ERROR.  What you can do is to try & flash the tape drive firmware again, & then try to load a tape in the drive.  If it fails, then the drive will need to be replaced as the sensor has quit working. 

January 22nd, 2019 00:00

From my experiance, the bottom sensor means the drive on its way out, you can have good results in ITDT but if you have this error its not a good sign.

3 Posts

March 8th, 2019 15:00

Hello,

Sorry to bring back this thread as it's a little older now, but I just wanted to update the current situation.

After re-flashing the drive firmware as was recommended, the drive became functional again, and we were able to start a backup job. However, the job failed mid-way with the following error (this is in Backup Exec):

e00084ec - A backup storage read/write error has occurred

The recommended action was to clean the drive. However, after ordering a new cleaning cartridge and importing it into the library, I am unable to clean the drive. Trying to initiate a cleaning job from the web interface returns this error:

ME: invalid cleaning cartridge (code 64)

Trying to clean from Backup Exec fails with:

0xe000810d - Physical Volume Library Media not found

Lastly, attempting to do a service clean from the TL2000 panel also fails, saying it cannot find a cleaning cartridge. We have autoclean enabled, and a cleaning tape in the reserved slot. There is no barcode on the cleaning tape, just a sticker listing the number of cleanings (up to 50).

As before, the web interface lists all tapes as "Bad Tape" in the inventory.

Any additional help would be appreciated, thank you.

Dynacor

March 11th, 2019 01:00

Cleaning tapes can only do so much, the bottom sensor is a red flag for the drive, it will need to be replaced

3 Posts

March 11th, 2019 08:00

We ordered the universal cleaning tape directly from Dell, and it did not come with a barcode. Just the sticker with the number of cleanings. It says it's compatible with all LTO drives.

This is the item we ordered, and is the only cleaning cartridge available on Dell's website:

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/tape_and_removable_media/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=hied&cs=cahied1&sku=310-5084

• 

6.9K Posts

March 11th, 2019 08:00

Hello Dynacor,

Will all media in a TL2000 you need to but a barcode label on the media in order for it to be seen correctly by your TL2000.  Once you put a barcode label on the cleaning error should go away & it should be able to clean the drive.  

March 11th, 2019 10:00

compatibility between the tape and drive isnt the issue, the library needs to know that that its a cleaning tape and the barcode does that.

No Events found!