Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 21st, 2012 07:00

TL2000 LTO5 FC help needed, no device in device manager

Hello,

I'm having problems with TL2000 setup, please help me to sort this problem out :)

The scenario;

Library:TL2000 LTO5 FC (2 drives)

,HBA:  Brocade 825

Server and OS Dell PowerEdge2950 running 2008R2 Sp1.

Problem: I don't see any device in device manager that might be a library or a type drive,

By using Brocade application software i can see that both ports are up and library connected to HBA by both library drives.

I've tried different drivers (dell and ibm), tried to connect hardware via FC switch. No luck.

network on library side is set and i can easily connect and manage thought WEB.

Any suggesions  appreciated.

Best regards,

p.s. sorry for my English :)

5 Posts

August 22nd, 2012 10:00

I've solved my problem.

after reading information on a brocade forum i suggested that something might wrong with connection types on HBA ports.

by default on a 825 HBA settings for ports is p2p which seems logically right.

After switching ports setting to Loop and rebooting library im seeing library and drives in device manager which makes me feel happy and a bit stupid :)

Thanks for you assistance guys and to be continued...:)

Best regards,

dcdance

9.3K Posts

August 21st, 2012 08:00

Are you using the latest Brocade 825 driver? Only since 3.1 is direct connect supported.

The driver is available from www.brocade.com/.../Windows.page.

5 Posts

August 21st, 2012 09:00

Thanks for your reply Dev Mgr!

Yes,  i'm using latest drivers for HBA. Also as i've told  in my starting  post that i'been trying to connect library and a server thought FC switch (SilkWorm 200 if that makes any sence). T

oday i was talking to Dell support guys in Russia (my location) they adviced me to change HBA due to information from some Dell's internal compability list for PE2950 which doesnt really support my Brocade 825.  I will try to put this HBA inside modern R710 and see if it will make some progress.

5 Posts

August 21st, 2012 11:00

well, another potion of information... i've tried to install HBA into r710.

made hw installation, installed brocade application and drivers,  tl2000 drivers both for library and tape drive, rebooted the server.

still no luck, so i guess that i can exclude server model issue.

where i am wrong?

• 

6.9K Posts

August 21st, 2012 12:00

Hello dcdance,

I wanted to confirm that a few things were checked.  If you go into the web interface & you check under Configure Library Menu General check to makes sure that the library Mode is set to Random and not Sequential.  Second under the Configure Library MenuDrives check and ensure that the drive has the following:

Checked boxes for both Power on and Control Path.

Speed = Automatic

Port Type= LN-Port

LoopID = 4or another ID if 4 is being used by another device

Let us know if you still can’t get the device to be seen.

5 Posts

August 22nd, 2012 03:00

Hi Dell-Sam L,

thanks for your reply

i've checked library setting and everything seems fine except FC-AL Loop ID value. By default value was set to 1 and i've changed it as you advised.

Then saved setting and rebooted library. No progress on server side.

1 Message

October 18th, 2012 14:00

Did you directly connect the drives to the server or used a switch in between?

No Events found!