Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 23rd, 2010 08:00

TL2000 with SCSI

We recently purchased a dell PV TL2000 tape library.

I noticed that the TL is shipped along with a SAS controller.

The box also include a iSCSI 1Gb bridge adaptor.

But our file server doesnt have a SAS or iSCSI Support. Its having SCSI ultra 320.

is there any compactable SCSI bridge  or SCSI controller available for this TL2000..?

pls help me.

899 Posts

May 26th, 2010 08:00

The only way to make the TL2000 a scsi device is to remove the SAS tape drive and install a SCSI LTO3 tape drive, there is no scsi to sas bridge for that library.

Since you already have the iSCSI card in the library wouldn't it be easier to just download the FREE Microsoft initiator?

You can attach the TL2K bridge directly to one of the 1850 NIC's if you are not using both or just attach the bridge to any ethernet switch on your network.

All of the instructions for the initiators can be found here

The users guide for the bridge can be found here

Once the initiator is configured to the bridge device the server will see the library as if it were direct attached.

Hope this helps,

Bob

If you decide to take the iSCSI route feel free to post any questions or comments back to this thread but you may be better served posting a new thread specific for your iSCSI questions.....

9.3K Posts

May 23rd, 2010 21:00

You'll have to put the SAS card in your server. If your server is too old to have a PCIe slot, you could look into a PCI-X SAS card (I'd suggest to consider an LSI card to match the brand of the Dell PCIe SAS card). If you don't have any open (PCIe or PCI-X) slots, you'll need to free up a slot, or buy a newer server with enough expansion slots to hold all the cards you need it to hold (though a warning; it's next to impossible to find modern servers with PCI-X slots anymore, so if you have any PCI-X cards, you may need to replace those with PCIe equivalents if you do end up buying a new(er) server).

SCSI isn't being offered on much anymore; SAS is the new solution.

899 Posts

May 24th, 2010 10:00

It sounds like you recieved an iSCSI library instead of a SCSI library. You can either return the unit you recieved for the correct version you need  (ie. LTO3 SCSI) ... or.. depending on what OS you are using for your file server there are numerous free iSCSI initiators that will enable you to use the library you recieved.

Bob

May 26th, 2010 02:00

thanks for the replies,

we are using Dell PowerEdge 1850 as the storage/backup server

and Dell powervault 220s storage. both are scsi.

OS is win 2003 server.

Can i replace the SAS controller with a SCSI on the tapelibrary..? (hope its better than upgrading both the servers to SAS) if this is possible, could u pls suggest a SCSI controller Device Model that suits for dell tl2000. ?

9.3K Posts

May 26th, 2010 10:00

iSCSI might sound interesting, but you may be taking a pretty big performance hit in your backup speed, depending on what you're currently getting. iSCSI means you're using a NIC (probably 1Gbit/s). This means in a very optimal setup you can expect 60 to 90 MB/s. A decent SCSI card can sustain over 200MB/s and with SAS it goes way higher (the SAS5E is 4 channels if I'm not mistaken and each channel is 300MB/s, so that's 1.2GB/s in bandwidth. With SCSI and SAS you may be running into other bottlenecks though, especially if you're backing up other systems over the network.

June 1st, 2010 08:00

thanks Bob,

I tested the ms initiator in our Lab. its working. Hop tis will solve the issue.

No Events found!