Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 21st, 2019 19:00

TL4000/TL2000 "HE: drive logged out Code: FB 01"

I've picked up a Dell/IBM LTO-5 HH drive from an external Dell enclosure. I've popped it into a spare LTO5 Sled, and tried to get it to run on the TL4000 (also a TL2000 with same result) but the drive doesn't seem to appear, even after a complete reset of the PV. The PowerVault does it's usual tape scans on boot, then seems to be trying to connect to the drive. About 15 minutes later, I get an error "HE: drive logged out Code: FB 01".

From what I can tell, it's some sort of communication error between the PV and the Drive. I checked the cables on the sled, and made sure the LDI switch was on on the drive - Switch 5 of 8 - (all other switches set to off). Still having no luck.

Usually, I am able to communicate with the drive over SAS from a PC, even when it's in the PV. The drive itself shows no errors, but the usual green "all good" light - even when it's in the PV. Am I doing anything wrong here? Is it a dead drive, PV or PV controller? Could I have the wrong switches set on the drive? Maybe a Firmware issue? If anyone has had this before or can help I'd appreciate it.

• 

6.9K Posts

January 29th, 2019 07:00

Hello Xeven,

The tape drives for an internal and library are slightly different than a external tape drives.  With an internal drive there are usually different firmware that tells the drive that there is a medium changer to move media.  With an external standalone drive, the firmware does not have the medium changer enabled.  If you set all the dip switches correctly and you are still not able to get the drive to login, then it comes down to the code that is on the drive that is set to external & not internal.  The code is set at the factory for the tape drives and can’t be flashed with a firmware upgrade.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

January 22nd, 2019 00:00

If it was a standalone drive then the settings for the drive are probably wrong for it to go into a library.

January 22nd, 2019 05:00

No, the drive have a VPD(Vital Product Data) i beleive, one setting being Library or Standalone mode. because IBM drives can go in a number of libraries they need to be set accordingly so that you cant stick any IBM drive into any library, which is probably why yours is logging out.

3 Posts

January 22nd, 2019 05:00

Thanks. I did check and it is the very same drive model as an existing LTO5 drive in the library, and the same switch setting for LDI to allow the drive to communicate with the PV. I'm not sure what other settings there might be though.

Do you mean some setting from the switches under the drive, or something in the library? 

• 

6.9K Posts

January 22nd, 2019 08:00

Hello Xeven,

Your issue is that you have an external drive and you are putting it into an enclosure.  With the external LTO drives they are not configured for a tape library & that is why you are getting the drive timeout message.  What is the dell part# that is on your external drive that you are trying to put into you TL?

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

3 Posts

January 28th, 2019 07:00

The drive part number is 46X5689 (46X8403 on the sled)

I would've assumed, given the same part numbers on another Library drive, that the external drive would work, particularly as they have the same interfaces, and same settings on the switch. 

January 29th, 2019 00:00

If the drive originated from an external chassis, standalone and not a library then it would have differant internal settings, the dip switches only do so much.

No Events found!