Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 10th, 2009 18:00

Use COTS 1 or 1.5 TB SATA HD on MD1000

Does MD1000 support any commodity 1 or 1.5 TB SATA HD, or must the HD come from Dell?

9.3K Posts

February 11th, 2009 05:00

On the MD1000 you need the interposer board for each SATA drive if I'm not mistaken. Dell doesn't sell the carrier and/or interposer board w/o the drive.

Assuming you've surpassed this hurdle (e.g. Ebay), the next question becomes; are you connecting to a PERC5/6 or to an MD3000/3000i?

The MD3000/3000i will only accept certified drives with certified firmware versions.

Therefor, assuming you have the MD1000 attached to a PERC5 or PERC6, and have gotten your hands on the drive carriers and interposer boards, probably a retail (non-Dell) drive will work. However, if you've spent the money on an MD1000 and a server, I assume you'd also want to be able to get support from Dell Powervault support. If you have non-Dell drives, Dell support will generally not touch any issues related to drive stability issues.

If you do buy non-Dell drives, and you value your data, I would recommend getting near-line drives, not desktop drives.

No Events found!