Highlighted
3 Silver

What exactly is Modular Disk Storage Manager?

Two completely separate systems (enclosures and servers) .

1) OLD MD3200 MDSM version 11.20 (and OME giving a red cross against it) connected to server A

2) New MD3220 MDSM version 11.25 installed last week connected to "server B" (latest everything).

So for fun I used the "new server B" to connect to the old MD3200 using its management port.

When I went to "about" the MDSM was reporting 11.20. I thought MDSM was the SW on the client???

So on the new server I had two arrays configured.

click on MD3200 -> Help->about_> 11.20

click on MD3220 -> Help->about_> 11.25

What is going on? What does 11.2X actually refer to?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

Re: What exactly is Modular Disk Storage Manager?

Hi,

i have used the MDSM in the past 10 years but i cant follow you exactly because i think we use it in a different way.
Because we are a VMware shop we have a central Management Server/VM where ONE instance of MDSM is installed and we managed one or more MD3 systems through it by using the out of band function(using the IPs of the controllers).

Yes, MDSM is a Client+Server part but iam unsure if you can split it. We always have Server+Client on the same windows box and use it from there. Than we register all of your MDs to it.

We also use the comand line client from a linux box as well.

If you have a Windows Host connect connected to the MD than you can also use the in band function and it sounds that you have different MDSM installed right?

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello Max_Williamson,

11.20 is the Array Management Window that is on your controllers.  It works with the version of firmware that is on your controllers so that you can manage your MD3xxx.  Your array management has to match your version of firmware on your controllers, or you will get an error message that states the version of MDSM is not compatible with your firmware. If you look at the firmware for both MD’s you should see that your MD3200 should be running a firmware of 08.20.09.60, 08.20.11.60, or 08.20.12.60.  Your MD3220 is most likely running a firmware of 08.20.24.60.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

DELL-Sam L
Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Thanks for this.

My MD3200 has FW 8.20.09.60

Man Sw version = 11.20.0G06.0010.

The dell OME is given a redcross under "data source" -> "global status"

Name= MD storage Agent

Version= devmgr.v1120api13.manager.

Apart from this red cross (which spoils my OME overview)and is a pain when we are audited), there are no other errors being reported either in OME or on the management window. 

Googling "md storage agent" gives two hits

How can I tell if Sw and FW are not matched? I see no "readme.txt"  on versions.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello Max_Williamson,

You are using the correct version of MDSM with the firmware that is on your controllers.  If OME is updated to the latest version, then you might want to try to upgrade your MD firmware to the latest.  In most cases when I see a red x in OME, but you can’t find any errors in any logs the issue normally is in OME not able to get the correct info it needs.  Normally it is fixed by updating drivers or firmware.

Please let us know if you have any other questions

DELL-Sam L
Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos