Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

October 29th, 2007 11:00

exporting cartridge on 124 LTO-2

I need to get a cartidge exported from a slot to the point where you can physically pull it out of the autloader.  Will using a tape move operation from its slot to the mailslot position place the tape where it can be removed from the autoloader?  I know this seems silly but I am not physically at the drive so I can't check and I don't want to send someone to the colo 20 miles away just to find out. 

Thanks,
Diego

899 Posts

October 29th, 2007 14:00

If you perform a Move from slot# to Mailslot it will leave the tape sitting in the "throat" From this location anyone will be able to grab the media.

Bob

18 Posts

October 29th, 2007 14:00

Thanks, let me ask you a couple more questions if you don't mind.

1) Can normal tape operations continue while a tape is in the "throat" of the loader?
2) Is there a way to accomplish this from ARCserve V11?

Right now ARCServe will issue an eject command but that merely takes the tape out of the drive and back to the slot where it came from.  ARcserve also has an export command but when I try to use it ARCserve claims that the device does not support the export command.

Thanks,
Diego

899 Posts

October 29th, 2007 15:00

1.) You will not be able to do anything while the tape is in the throat.

2.) Short answer - No way to accomplish this.

2.) Long Answer- So the reason Arcserve or any other backup app doesn't support the export command with the 124T is because there is no physical location that the tape is being delivered to. All  slots, drives and robotic arms within a library have what is called an element address. When the export command is executed from a s/w app the scsi command needs to know the starting element address and the ending element address for the move to be performed. Libraries have an I/E slot (import/export) that is accesible to the outside user independent of the other slots, this I/E slot has an element address. Autoloaders typically do not have an I/E slot. 

The RMU can accomplish the move because the destination is coded within the 124T firmware. Rather than an actual address to deliver to it is simply told to move to the front location and eject the tape.

Doesn't help you export your media I know but hopefully you understand why...

Bob

18 Posts

October 29th, 2007 17:00

Excellent answer, not what I wanted to hear, but excellent answer.

Thank you very much.

Diego

No Events found!