Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 12th, 2010 09:00

failed drive in RAID5 array (MD1000) causes volume to disappear from Windows?

I have an MD1000 full of drives (RAID5 + 1 hotspare) connected to my R710 for our backup media server (running Windows 2008 x64)

On Monday, while one of my backups was running along minding its own business, one of the drives failed in the MD1000.  The array automatically flipped to the hotspare, as it's supposed to... but this failure and subsequent failover caused the logical volume to completely disappear from my server!  Which of course, caused all my backups to fail since the target they write to was *poof!* gone.

Admittedly, this is very irritating since the whole point of buying a (very expensive) RAID array like this is to be able to withstand hardware failures without impacting operations.

Has anybody experienced a situation like this before?

9.3K Posts

August 12th, 2010 20:00

Are you using dynamic disk? If so, back up the data (to tape), delete the partition(s), revert to basic disk and see if that's more stable.

Other than that, I'd suggest to open a case with Dell PowerVault support to have them see if they can figure out what exactly happened and what caused your volume to go offline.

No Events found!