Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

August 3rd, 2009 00:00

iSCSI NIC selection - best practice...

Hi,

I have two PE2950s connected to a dual controller MD3000i via two PC5424 switches.

I noticed now that I had selected the PEs' dual port *onboard* NIC for the iSCSI link.

Would it be wiser to use on of my two extra dual port PCI-x cards for iSCSI?  If one of these fail, they are most certainly faster to replace than the PE's motherboard..  Or, to further increase redundancy should I use one port of each PCI-x card for iSCSI.  Then if one PCI-x cards goes down I have still half of my iSCSI link pumping...

Comments on 'best practice' appreciated.  This is my first virtual and external iSCSI setup...

regards

Tor

1.2K Posts

August 3rd, 2009 03:00

Yep better to use the 2 dual port cards. one port to each contoller so if a card fails you have the over card still connected to both controllers. Then you can team the onboard nics for a bit more bandwidth.

9.3K Posts

August 3rd, 2009 09:00

I would agree with tommo666 about using 2 different cards, however, make sure the 2 cards use the same driver (basically; make sure they are the same brand (Broadcom vs Intel)). This means the 2 iSCSI links don't have slightly different methods of handling certain IO traffic patterns.

So maybe use 2 Intel NICs (single, dual or quad port each (single port on the dual or quad port options)), or if you want to use one of the onboard NICs, add a Broadcom card that matches (or comes close to matching) the onboard chip.

No Events found!