Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

4 Posts

January 7th, 2020 05:00

md3220i stuck at loading flash file iSCSI

I had a raid controller in a duplex arrangement fail. (No lights on the rear at all.) MDSM reports the slot as being empty now that the failed controller has been removed.

I took another controller and made certain the firmware and NVSRAM firmware matched the remaining controller.

I issued a sysWipeAllConfigData command on this other controller, since it was in another md3220i and I needed to move it into the failed slot.

Here is the boot log for the card that I've moved. I've tried removing it and reinserting it, but it stops at the same place. MDSM reports the card is present, but is marked offline with a red X.

This is my last spare. Should I attempt to bring the card online via MDSM?

The reason I hesitate is because I attempted this same procedure with a different controller. The difference is that controller had a newer firmware. That controller is no longer responding to console or MDSM commands. I don't want to lose my last spare.

January 7th, 2020 05:00

Here is log console output when the controller is plugged into the emptry slot.

-=<###>=-
Instantiating /ram as rawFs, device = 0x1
Formatting /ram for DOSFS
Formatting...Retrieved old volume params with %38 confidence:
Volume Parameters: FAT type: FAT32, sectors per cluster 0
0 FAT copies, 0 clusters, 0 sectors per FAT
Sectors reserved 0, hidden 0, FAT sectors 0
Root dir entries 0, sysId (null) , serial number 10000
Label:" " ...
Disk with 1024 sectors of 512 bytes will be formatted with:
Volume Parameters: FAT type: FAT12, sectors per cluster 1
2 FAT copies, 1010 clusters, 3 sectors per FAT
Sectors reserved 1, hidden 0, FAT sectors 6
Root dir entries 112, sysId VXDOS12 , serial number 10000
Label:" " ...
OK.

RTC Error: Real-time clock device is not working

Adding 13888 symbols for standalone.
Length: 0x13c Bytes
Version ver03.0A

Reset, Power-Up Diagnostics - Loop 1 of 1
3600 Processor DRAM

01 Data lines Passed

02 Address lines Passed
3300 NVSRAM

01 Data lines Passed
4410 Ethernet 82574 1

01 Register read Passed

02 Register address lines Passed
6D40 Bobcat

02 Flash Test Passed
3700 PLB SRAM

01 Data lines Passed

02 Address lines Passed
7000 SE iSCSI BE2 1

01 Register Read Test Passed

02 Register Address Lines Test Passed

03 Register Data Lines Test Passed
3900 Real-Time Clock

01 RT Clock Tick Passed
Diagnostic Manager exited normally.

Current date: 01/07/20 time: 00:12:13

Send for Service Interface or baud rate change
01/06/20-18:13:54 (tRAID): NOTE: Set Powerup State
01/06/20-18:13:55 (tRAID): SOD Sequence is Normal, 0 on controller B
01/06/20-18:13:55 (tRAID): NOTE: Turning on tray summary fault LED
01/06/20-18:13:55 (tRAID): NOTE: Installed Protocols:
01/06/20-18:13:55 (tRAID): NOTE: Required Protocols:
01/06/20-18:13:55 (tRAID): NOTE: loading flash file: iSCSI

• 

6.9K Posts

January 7th, 2020 09:00

Hello Strictlyspeaking,

It would be best to get a support bundle from your MD3220i and get the full boot log of your controller so that we can see what the issue is.  I will send you a private message so that you can send the logs.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

January 8th, 2020 05:00

I sent the files that you requested sir.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Kevin

• 

6.9K Posts

January 16th, 2020 13:00

Hello Kevin,

You will need to set the system into simplex mode so that we can update the firmware on the working controller. You will want to remove the controller 1 from the system.  Here is the command to set the system into simplex mode using SMCLI.

set storageArray redundancyMode=simplex

Your MD3220i will reboot and once it is up it will run on a single controller in slot0.  You can then upgrade the firmware on the controller to the latest.  Once you have the firmware update then you will want to set the system back to duplex and add the second controller back in. 

set storageArray redundancyMode=duplex

Your MD3220i will reboot, once it comes up you should have both controllers online.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

13 Posts

January 19th, 2023 02:00

I have the same issue and exactly the same log stuck at that message, but this happened after replacing the controller battery, before it was working. I guess my controller doesn't need a firmware upgrade?

The Controller fault LED is amber, what should I do?

• 

2.1K Posts

January 19th, 2023 03:00

Hi, actually I don't have much other than Sam mentioned. Please follow up above recommendation. Might be helpful clear lowdown states steps. please checked "AnaWilliam850" stated to post on the thread here. It's very detailed.  https://dell.to/3IZsF5n

Hope that helps!

13 Posts

January 19th, 2023 08:00

There are two things I don't understand.

1- AnaWilliam850 says:

"Open the DSM software and log in to the controller using the shell username and password."

I don't know how to access the controller shell, the menu described is different from my DSM. In any case the controller can't communicate, can't even ping.

Is there another way to clear lockdown?

Can I do something else via serial cables, after that stuck message?

2- Why I should update the firmware of the healthy controller, as suggested by Sam_L? Before replacing the battery on the faulty controller, they were both already on the same firmware.

• 

8.4K Posts

January 19th, 2023 09:00

Lappiel, 

What is the differences on the DCM you are seeing, as well as what version you see on the MD?

As far as lockdowns we are limited on the support we can provide, due to the risk of data loss. I would recommend if you are wanting to clear it, for you to call in for assistance. 

Lastly to answer the question of why to update the firmware, this has a couple different reasons. One is that there were changes made to improve stability, the other being is there is a limited amount you can do to resolve it, if before a certain version. So best to make sure it is kept up to date.

Let me know if this helps.

13 Posts

January 20th, 2023 01:00

What is the differences on the DCM you are seeing, as well as what version you see on the MD?

This is my DSM:

Screenshot_20230120_103145.png

AnaWilliam850 speaks about a left pane. I don't see anything of her instructions from step 3.

I can't currently update the firmware because the disks are in use by our servers. The only solution I can see is trying to unlock the faulty controller, hoping it will work.

13 Posts

January 23rd, 2023 00:00

@DELL-Chris H   in which menu of DSM can I clear the lockdown?

Also, if I buy a new controller will it work or does it need the same steps to be enabled?

13 Posts

January 23rd, 2023 02:00

The controller doesn't sync, as it hangs at "(tRAID): NOTE: loading flash file: iSCSI".

When it hangs, the controller is not reachable, it doesn't ping and doesn't answer to any command via serial cable.

• 

2.1K Posts

January 23rd, 2023 02:00

It needs some experience I would like to share some information. Please read the following carefully and only follow the instructions if you are 100% sure and have a good working backup. If you have no experience and are hesitant, I suggest you get support from a service.

After plugging in the new controller, wait about 10 minutes for it to sync with the current controller before bringing it online. When the new controller syncs, it matches the current controller's firmware and copies the configuration of all your virtual disk information to the new controller. Typically, downtime is not required, but you want to limit I/O as much as possible.

additional thread https://www.dell.com/community/PowerVault/Replacing-failed-RAID-Controller-on-MD3220/td-p/8217390

13 Posts

January 24th, 2023 07:00

Would it be useful to try placing the module in Service Mode?

• 

3.1K Posts

January 24th, 2023 23:00

Hi @lappiel,

Just to check, if you have replaced the controller? 

13 Posts

January 25th, 2023 00:00

Hi @DELL-Joey C , I replaced the battery only. The controller is still the previous one.

No Events found!