Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

11 Posts

December 3rd, 2019 21:00

md3260i controller module placed offline

For the past week and about once per day I got a MD3260i controller that goes offline and get reset and it's getting back online after a few minutes ... until today where it stayed offline with the following errors:

RAID Controller Module Enclosure 0, Slot 1 Alternate RAID controller held in reset
RAID Controller Module Enclosure 0, Slot 0 RAID controller module consistency lost
RAID Controller Module Enclosure 0, Slot 1 RAID controller module reset its alternate
RAID Controller Module Enclosure 0, Slot 1 Alternate RAID controller module placed offline

So not sure what to do with this one? Should I try to manually put it back online and try to upgrade the controllers and disks firmware? The controllers are running firmware 08.20.16.60 and maybe 08.20.24.60 could fix it? But I am not convinced since this issue seem to be less than one week old. Could it be that the offline controller is going bad and needs to be replaced? Also the MDSM is showing a status "unknown" for the offline controller SD flash disk so could this be a SD card issue?

• 

6.9K Posts

December 4th, 2019 16:00

Hello casfr,

It would be best to look at a support bundle first to see why the controller keeps going offline. If you were running a older version of firmware I would say upgrade firmware first.  If you look in the recovery guru what does it state?

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

11 Posts

December 5th, 2019 15:00

Unfortunately I tried to manually force the controller back online but it's still not working and I got the same errors as before:

05/12/19 5:44:37 PM RAID Controller Module Enclosure 0, Slot 0 Needs attention condition resolved
05/12/19 5:44:37 PM RAID Controller Module Enclosure 0, Slot 0 Needs attention condition resolved
05/12/19 5:44:24 PM RAID Controller Module Enclosure 0, Slot 1 Alternate RAID controller held in reset
05/12/19 5:44:24 PM RAID Controller Module Enclosure 0, Slot 0 RAID controller module consistency lost
05/12/19 5:44:24 PM RAID Controller Module Enclosure 0, Slot 1 RAID controller module reset its alternate
05/12/19 5:44:24 PM RAID Controller Module Enclosure 0, Slot 1 Alternate RAID controller module placed offline
05/12/19 5:41:22 PM RAID Controller Module Enclosure 0, Slot 0 Needs attention condition resolved
05/12/19 5:41:21 PM RAID Controller Module Enclosure 0, Slot 1 Alternate RAID controller module placed online
05/12/19 5:41:21 PM RAID Controller Module Enclosure 0, Slot 0 RAID controller module consistency restored
05/12/19 5:41:20 PM RAID Controller Module Enclosure 0, Slot 1 RAID controller module placed online

And the recovery guru is showing:

Component reporting problem: RAID Controller Module in slot 1
Location: RAID Controller Module/Expansion enclosure 0, RAID Controller Module in slot 1
Replacement part number: A00
Board ID: 2660
Submodel ID: 186
Serial number: 4CB001O
Component requiring service: RAID Controller Module in slot 1
Service action (removal) allowed: Yes
Service action LED on component: No

And I guess upgrading the firmware while I only have one online controller might not be a good idea, right? So it look like I have a bad controller and will need to ask for a replacement. Unless there is something else I can try?

P:S: I don't mind uploading a support bundle if someone at Dell want to take a look.

• 

6.9K Posts

December 9th, 2019 09:00

Hello casfr,

I will send you a private message so that you can send me your support bundle.  You are correct that it is not wise to upgrade the firmware while only have a single working controller. 

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

No Events found!