Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 25th, 2020 12:00

ml6000 firmware update a33 changes username & password, not documented.

We are a trade school that received an old decommissioned. ML6000. I was teaching a student how to update firmware on the library and drives. Everything was fine until we applied update A33. This updated changed the default username and password from service & dell4you to something else. We have tried admin / admin, service / secure, admin / password, and anything else we could find to no avail. The frustrating thing is that the release notes for the update say that there is an update to the service password, but that's it, the notes do not tell you what it was changed to. This is very frustrating. We followed the procedures but the upgrade itself has locked us out. There were no other passwords on the system. The only recommendation we can find is to contact Dell and open a ticket, but that seems very unfair to charge us for an issue we didn't cause. Besides, as a non-profit training center, my director is going to tell me to wheel it out to the dumpster rather than pay for service.

Does anyone have any ideas? Surely someone has applied this update and ran into the same issue.

Thank you in advance.

7 Posts

March 4th, 2020 09:00

After a week of very patient and tedious work, and thanks to another user who gave me a donor image for a different model, I have been able to determine that the upgrade itself from A32 to A33 corrupted one or more of the security files. The service account password was changed, but the admin account was either not enabled or the password not set. When I figured out which of the security files had been corrupted, I replaced those files from the donor. When I rebooted the ML6000 to A33, it now worked as intended. service password changed, admin account enabled and password set to password. At this point we have upgraded to A35 without issue.

Since we were not the first person this type of problem has happened to, it would be decent of Dell to make a generic recovery image available for when the firmware upgrade borks the system. At the very least the upgrade instructions should contain information on how to back up the CF before the upgrade. My advice is to understand Linux and to understand what this command does:

sudo dd if=/dev/sdd of=~/Dell-Backup/current version bs=1M count=245

February 27th, 2020 00:00

its now spelt differantly. they dont want you in there

7 Posts

February 27th, 2020 05:00

Thank you for at least recognizing that the issue exists! I had someone from Dell try to tell me that the password wasn't changed. I had to point them at their own website, the firmware information page, where is clearly states that the password was changed. They have yet to respond to me.

So you have a clean machine with no user accounts or any set up. You do the recommended upgrades per Dell, which locks you out of the machine, to force you to pay for a service call / contract that you didn't need before the recommended upgrade? 

As one student pointed out while we were discussing the issue, "this seems exactly like ransomware". Indeed. It has certainly now given this cohort of students a good opinion of Dell. That's something they are going to carry with them for years.

Any tips on trying to guess the spelling?

BTW, this is not having desired effect. I now have students

1) trying to figure out how to brute force the password.

2) hacking at the underlying Linux distribution

3) I am becoming intimately familiar with the html coding on the CF. I can already change the icons and fiddle with the words. Before I wouldn't have cared as I am too busy to much around this way, but now they have ticked me off. 

7 Posts

February 27th, 2020 09:00

You know I would be fine with the Admin account but I can't get anyone to officially tell me what that is either.

admin / admin

Admin / Password

we have tried every variation on those we could think of. 

February 27th, 2020 09:00

it changed on 700g, i just used an older version as its a pain to type and remember.

i dont think dell would want me to give it on the forum.

the admin account does pretty much all you need anyway i think

• 

631 Posts

February 27th, 2020 14:00

Hello DasGoat,

To access the admin account here is the default login information

Username= admin

Password= password

The service account password did change in newer versions of firmware, as I checked with our storage analyst team.  The service account is only to be used by Dell technicians, & we don’t provide that password to any customers. 

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

2 Posts

April 17th, 2020 01:00

happy to help where I can, had a few issues getting the LCB to load,

struggling with getting access to the serial port to change SNMP settings, 

any ideas?

Jon

2 Posts

April 17th, 2020 01:00

how differently

Jon

6 Posts

June 7th, 2022 15:00

hi  DasGoat, I am writing to you because I had the same problem with this library updating the firmware to version A35 as you mention there is no documentation of the problem generated by updating the firmware without having taken a backup of the system and what is more it would not help at all if there is no access to the console if you do not have the correct username and password, becoming even more complicated if the equipment is already out of warranty or without a contract with the brand.
When updating the firmaare to the latest version recommended by the Brand, it left me unable to access the console and now I have a huge paperweight.
I don't know if it would be feasible for you to share with me the step by step of how to execute the process you carried out to solve your problem.
I would greatly appreciate it.

best regards

Eddy Parrilla

June 8th, 2022 03:00

Basically its a stronger password with characters and numbers etc.

Dell we not want me to type it here though.

7 Posts

June 9th, 2022 06:00

I don’t have access to my NAS right now, but I did write up something that says how to fix this. I’m technically off for the summer, but I will try to get you something next week.

If memory serves, how I fixed the issue was that someone kindly shared an old version of the firmware with me. I edited it just enough to get it to boot and erase the password, then set a secondary password/account. Then I let it update itself to fix the old firmware, but now I had a secondary password/account that I could get back in and manipulate the unit.

I think I can send you a copy of my firmware to get you back in. We are not in production. My unit is just to train students on how tape libraries work. I think we only have four tapes, so I wouldn’t be giving you any secrete info. Unfortunately, you will have to rebuild your whole library probably. I don’t know of a way around this or exactly how the internal database is stored/accessed.

If you think this might help, let me know and I will make you a copy. Just understand that this is me trying to help you. No guaranties or warranties implied.

Another thought. The original guy who figured this out bought a replacement board on eBay that had a firmware chip in it. You might try that.

6 Posts

July 9th, 2022 08:00

Thank you very much, for the answer if it would help me a lot to have a copy to be able to restore, the reality is that this tape library is not in production, it was a big mistake to update the firmware to the latest version without taking the foresight to create an alternative user to continue having access to the equipment and the truth left me a bad impression of the support part of DELL, since I did not know that updating the firmware would leave me out of access to the equipment.
If you could share that firmware and the procedures carried out to have control of the equipment again, you would help me a lot. And if we are also looking at the option to buy a new controller unlocked by Ebay.

Best regards

Eddy Parrilla 

No Events found!