james.d.salehi
1 Copper

5720 AIO fan behavior & CPU temp under CPU load?

I have a brand new Precision Workstation 5720 AIO which is exhibiting some odd behavior, and I'm trying to figure out if this is normal for the model or perhaps something amiss with my particular machine. 

Under normal quiescent load (CPU ~10%), the fan is incredibly quiet, and the CPU temperature (as measured by Core Temp) is about 60°C.

When starting a program which demands a lot of CPU (say, doing a video transcoding with Handbrake, CPU ~98%), within 15-20 seconds the CPU temperature goes to 95+°C and the CPU fan goes to HIGH and stays there.  It's very loud (sounds like a hair dryer) and stays at HIGH during the duration of the program execution.    The maximum operating temp of the CPU as per the Intel website is about 100°F, so this is very hot. 

My question for other owners of 5720 AIO and system technicians:   
When you run a compute-intensive application which takes the CPU utilization above 90%, does your system fan almost immediately go to HIGH and stay there? 

Thanks!  I suspect something may be wrong with my CPU heat sink so trying to figure what to do next. 

Service tag:  CNTD1T2
Processor: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v6 
Windows 10 Pro for Workstations. 
Video card:  AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
Processor speed measured by Core Temp (https://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/)

0 Kudos
1 Reply
bradthetechnut
3 Cadmium

Re: 5720 AIO fan behavior & CPU temp under CPU load?

For the best and timely service on your new or in warranty Dell products, please contact Dell Support direct using the "Contact Support" link below this post.

Friendly reminder for future reference - Service tags shouldn't be posted publicly.

- Please consider giving posts you like a thumbs up.
- Please "Accept as Solution" posts that are a solution.

I'm a big fan of Dell, a Dell user, and not an employee. This forum is mainly user to user with occasional moderation or additional knowledge by a Rockstar or Dell employee.
0 Kudos