Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

1 Message

January 23rd, 2020 14:00

5820 bios update 2.0.2 Jan 20 stuck at 0%

I had to disable the dell command update. It keeps trying to install the critical 5820 bios update Version 2.0.2  dated 20 Jan 2020.

The bios installer reboots and then gets stuck at 0%. I have reset the bios to factory settings. Bit locker is not on. 

This has happened about six times, 4 via the dell command update and twice trying to manually update the bios from the installer on the support page for the service tag. The last time it failed I went home at 5 PM and it was still at 0 % at 8 AM. I have previously updated the bios on this workstation 3 or 4 times with no problems. I have made no hardware changes.  Fortunately, I can hit the power button and restart and get back into windows.

Has anyone else experiences this? Any solutions?

Thanks,

Mark

Current Bios 2.0.1

Dell 5820 256GB RAM Quadro P6000 24GB Xeon W-2135

2 Posts

January 21st, 2021 13:00

Thanks to this forum I was able to resolve the issue.  Dell TS wanted to replace the motherboard, I knew there had to be a better solution.  These are my notes to resolve.

Issue: Dell Command Utility could not upgrade BIOS from 2.0.2 to 2.5.0.  Would fail at 0%.

Solution:

• Confirm/turn off Bit Locker (it wasn't on).
  • Remove cable for monitor 2 and 3.  (these are all Display Port Monitors)

• Set resolution for monitor 1 to 1920x1080. (lowering resolution worked, didn't need to find an old one)
  • Reboot PC > press F12

• Bios Setup

• Secure Boot > disable

• Advanced Boot Option > Enable Legacy option ROMs

• Boot Sequence > select Legacy

• Reboot

• No boot device found press any key > pressed space > rebooted > no boot device found press any key > no boot device > 3rd time pre-boot performance test (about 3 minutes) > rebooted > no boot device > rebooted > press F12 > select windows boot manager > now I was able to get to a Windows log on.
    -So you can just F12 and select windows boot manager to get to Windows.

• Click link to Dell Drivers page > Bios > download and run Bios 2.5.0 updater from windows (didn't need to use a USB drive) > system rebooted to BIOS update progress > yes, it's finally updating (about 5 minutes) > rebooted > no boot device found > I rebooted to confirm 2.5.0 bios version
  • I rebooted again > F12 > Bios Setup
    • Secure Boot > Enable
    • Advanced Boot Option > Uncheck Legacy option ROMs
    • Boot Sequence > change back to EUFI
    • Rebooted > right to windows log on.  Excellent.
  • Ran Dell command update > system up to date
  • Issue resolved.

3 Posts

January 24th, 2020 14:00

It's happening to me too, stuck at 0%. I was able to restart the machine. It is a 5820 with 64GB, W-2135. 

14 Posts

January 24th, 2020 15:00

I seem to be having the same issue. At the moment I am not brave enough to interrupt the BIOS update process, which is stuck at 0%. This is using "flash bios" from a usb stick.

I note that I am also trying to update from BIOS 2.0.1, the same as you.

It seems that Dell withdrew BIOS 2.0.1, ref

https://www.dell.com/community/Precision-Fixed-Workstations/Precision-T5820-BIOS-2-0-1-removed/td-p/7444416

I hope this upgrade path has been tested...

14 Posts

January 24th, 2020 15:00

I forcibly powered off the system, and it still boots with the old BIOS (2.0.1). Phew!

78 Posts

January 25th, 2020 10:00

Apart of waiting for an official answer from Dell for those customers that downloaded the now withdrawn BIOS version 2.0.1, there are two workarounds that may work but are somewhat risky:

1. Downgrading the current BIOS (if it is yet possible once 2.0.1 has been applied) and try reflashing 2.0.2 then.  It seems this BIOS version does not offer a list of "previous" BIOS releases on the Dell support page, so I fear the only way to get an earlier one will be from the now outdated Dell Precision Tower 5820 product support web page (not updated since mid-2019).  There is a possibility Dell has removed the digital certificate used to authenticate earlier firmware releases, so this method may not work.
  2. Trying to force a reflash of 2.0.2 using one of the BIOS Recovery options on a Dell workstation.

I would say method (2) is, possibly, safer than downgrading and then upgrading.

10 Posts

January 31st, 2020 05:00

I have the same problem with my T5820. PC reboots then sits there at 0% for 1/2 hour or more without progress bar moving at all. BIOS update should take a few minutes. I powered off PC and reboot. System Info shows previous BIOS.

Just incredible! How could DELL release a BIOS update for a T5820 Business Class Workstation WITHOUT even testing it?

--Alan

(Working with PC's since Jan 1987)

2 Posts

February 3rd, 2020 18:00

Greetings All. I too had the dreaded 2.0.1 Bios and experienced the same frustration as everyone else with it refusing to flash

Here is what I did to get my 5820 to accept the new flash

1. Created a bootable usb drive per the instructions here

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln143196/

After that I copied the new 2.0.2 bios to the flash drive and rebooted. Use F12 to get to the bios boot menu. There is an option to update the firmware. I choose that and we presented with a screen where I had to choose the file manually, once I selected the BIOS file I went through the usual nag screens of accepting the flash, the system rebooted and flashed right away.

Pro Support was going to send out a replacement MB, but I asked them about flashing from a thumb drive, they were good with that:)

Cheers

-s

78 Posts

February 4th, 2020 01:00

It makes sense.  I would never try a firmware update from a live operating system, not to say a Microsoft one.  There are too many variables than can turn a simple update process into a nightmare.  A firmware update from a USB flash drive (either a FAT-32 formatted one on recent workstations, or one running the Dell Real-Mode Kernel operating system for older hardware) is much safer.

The only reason I have not suggested using a FAT-formatted USB drive in a previous post is that GlennMorris was using this update method, and got stuck at zero percent too.

Glad to see you were able to update the BIOS using a flash drive.

78 Posts

February 4th, 2020 01:00

Oh, I see the link you mention.  It shows how creating a bootable USB flash drive running DRMK operating system.  It should not be really required, any FAT-32 formatted drive would do the trick.  Note that you have not really booted from that drive, but used a flash updating tool provided by the firmware of your workstation.  A non-bootable USB drive would have been enough.

2 Posts

February 4th, 2020 04:00

I tried a bare thumb drive formatted to fat32 but I couldn't get the flash tool to see it. I wasn't successful at forcing a bios recovery either. Here is another Dell article about flashing a 5820 from a thumb drive, it does say that you need a bootable thumb drive - who knows.

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/19/precision-5820-workstation/precision_5820_om_pub/updating-your-system-bios-using-a-usb-flash-drive?guid=guid-08844976-ae7c-4757-b3ad-e54ca0ccaa20&lang=en-us

Do you know if GlenMorris tried this with the DRMK os?

Cheers

-s

February 4th, 2020 06:00

It wouldn't let me downgrade from 2.0.1.

Selecting "Flash BIOS" from the F12 menu remained stuck at 0%.

Following the "BIOS Recovery" steps worked like a champ.  I'm now at 2.0.2.

78 Posts

February 5th, 2020 05:00

@steve344 

Try turning on the workstation with the USB flash drive connected to one of the front ports.  I have seen workstations that had problems seeing drives connected once the computer was turned on.  You may want trying another flash drive too, a lower capacity one.  Make sure it is FAT32-formatted, not NTFS, ffs or ext4.  The article you mention is for the OptiPlex 9010, an old desktop where bootable media was probably required.

There is no magic, DRMK is not required if you will not boot from the USB drive.

78 Posts

February 5th, 2020 05:00

@Kernel Builder 

Glad to see the BIOS recovery procedure helped.  Some people had luck flashing BIOS from a USB drive, using the standard firmware upgrade procedure, but it failed to you.  That is odd.  In any case, it is nice to see that you are running 2.0.2 right now.

1 Message

February 13th, 2020 05:00

I had a similar experience - it was stuck on 'Saving Manifest' for about 30 minutes after which I forced shutdown my system. I followed the directions in the URL's posted here to apply the update using a USB key and only the 'BIOS Flash Update' method from boot options brought me close enough to apply. The update itself didn't apply - it was stuck on 'Updating your firmware' for over 20 minutes, Flash Progress never went above 0%. After I forced shutdown again and booted into Windows (luckily), re-ran the BIOS updater and BIOS still showed stuck on 2.0.1 - didn't complete the install, just wanted to check what the installer was detecting.

I spoke with Dell support and my only two options were:

1. Re-install the OS - not sure how this would've helped with a firmware update that clearly couldn't install via a BIOS Flash Update from the boot menu.
  2. Replace the motherboard

I went with the motherboard replacement - should have it by tomorrow, or early next week with an onsite tech. I definitely believe there's a bug in this firmware update that's going to cause this issue with more users of this system type.

14 Posts

February 14th, 2020 11:00

For the record, I also ended up doing a motherboard replacement.

I have three 5820s. One was on bios 1.11.1, and two were on 2.0.1. The one on 1.11.1, and one of the ones on 2.0.1, updated to 2.0.2 no problem. The third was stuck at 0%. I have no idea what was different about this system. Resetting to default BIOS options did not help. The "BIOS recovery" technique suggested above did nothing for me (power light flashing amber 3 times, then white 3 times, no display output).

To cap off the saga, the replacement motherboard that was installed today (after two days of missed service visits) was apparently DOA. So now I have to wait for yet another replacement... I hope the rest of you have better luck!

I guess the moral, is, wait a few weeks after release before installing a new BIOS version...

No Events found!