Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

1 Message

January 23rd, 2020 14:00

5820 bios update 2.0.2 Jan 20 stuck at 0%

I had to disable the dell command update. It keeps trying to install the critical 5820 bios update Version 2.0.2  dated 20 Jan 2020.

The bios installer reboots and then gets stuck at 0%. I have reset the bios to factory settings. Bit locker is not on. 

This has happened about six times, 4 via the dell command update and twice trying to manually update the bios from the installer on the support page for the service tag. The last time it failed I went home at 5 PM and it was still at 0 % at 8 AM. I have previously updated the bios on this workstation 3 or 4 times with no problems. I have made no hardware changes.  Fortunately, I can hit the power button and restart and get back into windows.

Has anyone else experiences this? Any solutions?

Thanks,

Mark

Current Bios 2.0.1

Dell 5820 256GB RAM Quadro P6000 24GB Xeon W-2135

37 Posts

February 15th, 2020 23:00

Another successful upgrade from 2.0.1 to 2.0.2 using BIO recovery procedure:

Ctrl-Esc during startup, with FAT32 USB stick containing "BIOS_IMG.rcv" which is the renamed version of "5820T_2.0.2.exe".

As other have reported, both the live method from Windows10, as well as F12 method get stuck at 0%.

• 

25.1K Posts

February 15th, 2020 23:00

Hi @tl_mdx, thank you for confirming the update has completed. Please private message the system details if you still have any issue.

-Akshatha

6 Posts

February 26th, 2020 02:00

Hi all

We have two T5820, Xeon W-2155, 32 GB Ram, NVIDIA Quadro P4000 8GB.

With one, the biosupdate from 2.0.1 to 2.0.2 went without Problems through the normal live Method with Win10/Dell command Update.

With the second one I've tried all the solutions in this Post (live, bios recovery with "BIOS_IMG.rcv" and flasch Bios from F12 menu) - all stuck at 0%. Luckily I could always power off and the system rebooted with no Problem. Dell Support told me to wait a week and then try again, sadly this didn't work so far.

Any solutions?

78 Posts

February 26th, 2020 12:00

For those that think this BIOS upgrade is really urgent, indeed you are right. The problems fixed on this BIOS release are serious ones. In fact, I am eagering awaiting for the BIOS upgrade for my Precision Tower 3420, that should have arrived two months ago.  It is now planned for march. However waiting for a new BIOS upgrade is a choice that I would hearthly recommend to all of you having problems with the upgrade on the 5820. The next BIOS release will fix more hardware issues, not as serious or numerous as the ones fixed on the current firmware version but important yet.

You cannot depend only on the BIOS upgrades to maintain your hardware secure; in the same way as software, hardware can be protected by good countermeasures and a well though "castle approach". Security has evolved since the nineties were the bastion model was usually enough. Now security must be considered globally, and defense in depth is the way to go.

78 Posts

February 26th, 2020 12:00

I am glad to see that forcing an upgrade from the BIOS recovery mode did the trick for some of you.  I used this procedure in the past recovering my Precision 3420 from a broken BIOS release that was quickly replaced by a working one by Dell staff in mid-august.

My advice, in case upgrading the BIOS is not urgent to you, would be waiting for the next release.  It makes no sense replacing a perfectly working motherboard as a new one will be a waste of money for Dell, a waste of time to you, and a risk of damaging a high-end workstation.  This one looks like a common issue on the latest BIOS for the 5820 workstation.  Lots of customers have described the same problem on this thread, so I would think on a software, not hardware, issue.  Why not let Dell investigate the problem and fix it?

6 Posts

March 2nd, 2020 03:00

Hi, thanks for the advice. We're in contact with dell. I'll let you know which solution we choose (motherboard replacement oder waiting for the new bios update) and how it worked.

6 Posts

March 4th, 2020 04:00

Hi all, we had dell support replace the Motherboard yesterday, so far everything is fine now. Replacement went fast and without Problems, bios update to 2.0.2 with the new Motherboard without any problem. We chose this solution over waiting for a new/replacment bios update because I expierenced other strange Things from time to time on my machine, which didnt occur on the other (exactly the same) machine we have. 

• 

25.1K Posts

March 26th, 2020 08:00

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Please private message more about the issue you are facing along with your system service tag or the express service code, we will check and assist you. ^KR 

3 Posts

March 26th, 2020 08:00

It's been 2 months without a bios fix. I will order a new motherboard if it's not fixed soon.

2 Posts

April 23rd, 2020 02:00

Hello, I tried the  "BIOS Recovery options on a Dell workstation" procedure, but in my Precision 5820 press and hold the CTRL key + ESC key on the keyboard doesn't make the BIOS Recovery page appears. I used a keyboard connected to the PS/2 port. What could be the problem? Using an USB key and Bios update form boot menu (F12) doesn't work, remains stuck at 0%.

Thanks for your help, Marco

2 Posts

April 30th, 2020 05:00

This is happening to my 5820 system as well.  Has there been any constructive response from Dell ?

2 Posts

April 30th, 2020 15:00

Still no response from Dell or a fixed BIOS update? My whole team can't get this update. These are brand new computers and we are having a slew of other driver issues that my guess would stem from this. Really hoping for anything soon. Thanks!

2 Posts

June 3rd, 2020 02:00

Hello, Dell released the Bios 2.2.0 update, but on my workstation the update using the exe downloaded from the Dell site show the same problem as 2.0.2, stuck at 0%. I had to do the Bios recovery procedure as with 2.0.2. The update using  the exe downloaded from the Dell site or by SupportAssist worked fine till the 2.0.1 version. I don't kwon what is the problem and how many users have the same issue, maybe it is related to the motherboard (I have Board: Dell Inc. 0X8DXD A00 Serial Number: /HNM8DP2/CNFCW007CM0094/). The Italian support team seems to have no clue about the issue and told me to wait the next bios release,  but I really hope the Dell engineers will fix this soon, since it would be quite annoying to do the Bios recovery procedure for every new Bios release.

Thanks, Marco

2 Posts

June 17th, 2020 16:00

I am having the same 0% problem going from 2.0.2 to 2.2.0.  Has anyone made progress?

2 Posts

June 19th, 2020 14:00

I got it working by disabling the Secure Boot, enabling legacy option + legacy boot.  Then I was able to use the F12 -> flash from BIOS.

When I switched back to UEFI Secure Boot of NVME, it had trouble finding my NVME boot consistently and would get confused with my external drives.  I had to switch from Windows Boot Manager to a specified manual UEFI boot target and then it seemed to work.

No Events found!