Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

14 Posts

January 12th, 2020 16:00

7920 SSD NVMe in front Flexbay are limited to 1TB size?

Can anybody tell me what the limitation is for this and why I can't just replace both of my 1TB drives with 2TB Samsung NVMe drives?

Thanks in advance,

S.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 13th, 2020 08:00

FLEX BAY is usb connection or Four 3.5-inch SAS or SATA drive with the flex bay.  Thats not NVME.  NVME has PCI-E connection and M2 connector on motherboard.

NVME is limited to how much money you have in your wallet as is SAS SATA 2.5 inch.

https://www.amazon.com/Black-SN750-Internal-Gaming-Heatsink/dp/B07MLVK8K5

So if you are talking about the 4 drive Flex bay then it would take 4 SAS SSD's up to 15TB each.

XS15360TE70004 15.36TB 2.5" SAS

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-15-36TB-SSD/dp/B07TBLWKFT/

https://www.seagate.com/enterprise-storage/nytro-drives/nytro-sas-ssd/

573 Posts

January 14th, 2020 00:00

Hi @Schmagagled ,

As T7920 is the latest Precision Tower model on the market, I'm afraid you could hardly find support from this user forum with something that not stated clearly in official documents or manuals.

Instead, you may try chatting with Dell online support. When browsing to T7920 product page, there is a "Call for Chat" button on right hand side. I once talked with them on some kind of hard drive upgrade options and did get what I need. Worth to try!

chat.jpg

14 Posts

January 14th, 2020 06:00

Speedstep; bmcowboy;

Maybe I wasn't clear in what I was asking.

I'm specifically referring to the front mounted NVMe Flexbay M.2 drives.

I have two 1TB SSDs and apparently according to the *Owner's Manual* they are limited to being 1TB max.

NVMe_1TB_Limit.png

So I just wanted to know before I go out and buy a couple of large Samsung EVOs whether there was something keeping those two Flexbay NVMe SSD from working with larger SSDs. I think it's a reasosnable question. 

Also, while we're on the topic of parts replacement or additions to the 7920 tower....where do you get a copy of a parts list for this system?

Say for example that I wanted to get the CAC-PIV slimline reader kit...where do I even find out what the part number is?

Thanks,

S.

December 22nd, 2020 22:00

Do you know how to detect SSD NVMe in Front Flexbay

I have 7820 and samsung NVME EVO 970 512Gb.

Until now, i cannot detect the NVMe on BIOS or WIndows System.

Please let me know if you have any solution.

4 Operator

• 

1.1K Posts

December 23rd, 2020 07:00

@Heri Herwanto 

Do you have the 2 top flexbays converted to pci-e usage ?

Or are they on the standard sata setup ?

37 Posts

December 26th, 2020 13:00

Do not have a 7920, but the 5820 is behaving quite well with 2TB Intel NVMe SSDs in the front 2xNVME FlexBay

The FlexBay was pre-configured when the machine was purchased.

I swapped out the original {2 x 256GB SKHynix}SSDs with the {2 x 2TB Intel} SSDs recently.

I'm posting this message from Centos8 that is booting off one of the 2TB SSDs in the FlexBay.

Both FlexBay NVME SSDs are visible in F2/BIOS as well as F12/Boot-menu

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 26th, 2020 14:00

The physical size of the drive is the limitation.  I think its 2280 not 22110.

So the only other limit is how much money is in your wallet.

Mini SAS SFF-8643 to M.2 SATA PCI-e SSD Adapters would allow even larger drives.

https://www.amazon.com/CableCreation-SFF-8639-SFF-8643-Compatible-Mainboard/dp/B07D8RBY7C

https://www.amazon.com/Micron-3-84TB-Enterprise-Solid-State/dp/B07SG5Z88C

1.5K Posts

December 27th, 2020 10:00

Good advice, however getting a sales tech that actually knows anything of random a very lucky thing to happen. Rarely do any of them know any more than to read the FAQ from their computer screen!

So we all know that NVME is limited only by Port size ie 2230 length we know only has 512GB in size available? but 2280 length is only limited by your money and max size available 2 TB.

The OP May or may not be confused as to whether he can use M.2 NVME or he is limited to SATA, Still SATA is limited to only what you can afford as 4TB SATA SSD are available.

The Techs at dell can only tell you what has been tested in any unit. Such as my Inspiron 3386 I was told on 1TB would work in the 2280 slot I have a 2280 slot and 2230 slot  so I moved then original 2230 512GB M.2 NVME to the 2230 slot and put in a 1TB M.2 NVME SSD I could very well have put in a 2TB but since Dell Pro Plus tech support told only a 1tb would work,  against my own knowledge I only put in a 1TB. as it turns out the 1TB is all I really needed anyway. What I did gain is a Very fast NVME 4 lane SSD as to compared to the m.2 NVME 2 512 GB 2 lane SSD that Dell dropped into my notebook. So you can't always go by what Dell Tech support Tells you especially the sales tech that you get from the chat support 

1.5K Posts

December 27th, 2020 12:00

For those of us not familiar with SAS technology of which I am one 

SAS vs SATA: What's the Difference? | HP® Tech Takes

9 Posts

February 2nd, 2021 11:00

Dear Schmagagled,

I don't know if you got an answer but I'm having no trouble with 2Tb SSDs. Just make sure the SSDs are PCIe 3.1 or higher. I think the manual was reflecting the size of available drives at the time of release (early 2020). I noticed the Technical Guide for the T7920 mentions 2Tb M.2 sticks now.

For others, I'd also like to mention that the Ableconn M.2 to U.2 Adapter (Amazon ASIN B01HR0PKJQ) fits in  the caddies included in Flex Bays 0 & 1 (with the 2.5" adapter) and converts an M.2 PCIe NVMe drive to U.2 with  an SFF-8639 which is what the Dell NVMe Flex Bay cage uses.

Hope this helps.

9 Posts

February 2nd, 2021 11:00

One other question for those of you who are using NVMe SSDs on a PCIe-capable controller:

I've got my SSDs on the Intel VROC controller at the moment and they're running close to theoretical max speed according to CrystalDiskMark. I have an NVMe capable LSI 9460 in the machine and I'm wondering if I'd gain anything moving the SSDs over (aside from reconfiguration headaches).

Have any of you tried both configurations and, if so, what did you learn?

Thank you.

No Events found!