Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

January 21st, 2018 19:00

Booting from Samsun NVMe M.2 w/ DELL T7610 Workstation

Trying to get a DELL Precision Workstation to boot of the installed Samsung M.2 NVMe 512gb drive after installing Win10 Pro. The install goes fine form a USB drive generated with MediaCreator and booted as UEFI device. It sees the Samsung disk and completes the setup without errors, but the system will find drive or start after initial reboot (USB removed). 

Here is what I have done:

- Updated to latest BIOS
- Enable UEFI mode
- Enabled and Disabled Legacy options
- Enabled and Disabled SATA ACHI and LSI RAID

The BIOS does show a Mass Storage Device in PCI Slot 1. 

After install the Boot Sequence specifies Windows Boot Manager. 

We have reviewed other threads here as well as DELL's link - http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln300820/what-are-pcie-ssds-and-how-to-use-them-as-a-b...

Nothing seems to work, and I am hoping some has an idea. 

I have included some screens below:

56 Posts

August 29th, 2018 09:00

Reading kikixxx's statement about not needing a Dell Ultra Speed PCIe NVMe adapter to boot a NVMe M.2 SSD interested me so I did a little investigating and have some new results.

-----------------

Using a Samsung 950 Pro SSD this adapter WILL boot my T7610:  EZDIY-FAB PCI Express M.2 SSD NGFF PCIe Card to PCIe 3.0 x4 M2 Adapter Screen Shot 2018-08-29 at 9.08.08 AM.png------------------------------------

>This type of adapter will NOT boot the Samsung 950 Pro: Asus Hyper M.2 X4 Mini PCI-e

Screen Shot 2018-08-29 at 9.12.50 AM.png----------------------

> Next I tried my Samsung 960 Pro M.2 SSD and cannot get the Dell Ultra Speed, the EZ-DIY or Asus Mini to act as a boot drive.  The 960 Pro can be seen and Win 10 can be installed but it will not boot using the same technique I use with the 950 Pro SSD, baffling.

Summary:

1. The Samsung 950 Pro will act as a boot drive with the Dell and EZ-DYI PCIe M.2 adapters.

2. I cannot find a way to make the Samsung 960 Pro to act as the boot drive with any adapter.  I wonder what procedure I'm missing.

56 Posts

August 29th, 2018 09:00

Duplicate post

September 4th, 2018 02:00

Hi,

Please let me know:

1. What model of SSD NVMe M.2 used?

2. Here is the link to buy Generic NVME Adapter Converter Card, which can use with the SSD NVMe M.2.

Thanks for your support!

56 Posts

September 4th, 2018 08:00

Re: MountainHN

1. The only SSD I've been successful in using is a Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD. 

2.  I am currently booting from this:  EZDIY-FAB PCI Express M.2 SSD NGFF PCIe Card to PCIe 3.0 x4 M2 Adapter

(I can also use the Dell Ultra Speed adapter)

9 Posts

September 13th, 2018 15:00

sorry the delay was on vacation.

yes I'm using EZDIY-FAB PCI Express M.2 SSD NGFF PCIe Card to PCIe 3.0 x4 M2 Adapter

its cheap and works great. no any problems.  $8 ebay

im using Samsung pro 950 512gb and im very happy!!!!!

the the Dell Ultra Speed adapter its optional if you want use more Storage.

1 Message

February 18th, 2019 18:00

I cloned my old hard drive to my new Samsung Evo 970+ drive mounted on a cheap Vantec PCIe adapter card. The solution that worked for me was to build a bootable usb drive with CLOVER (https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Home) and point CLOVER to the nvme drive. There is a slick utility at http://cvad-mac.narod.ru/index/bootdiskutility_exe/0-5 that will do most of the work to burn the usb drive. Follow the instructions at https://www.win-raid.com/t2375f50-Guide-NVMe-boot-without-modding-your-UEFI-BIOS-Clover-EFI-bootloader-method.html to configure CLOVER WITH ONE KEY ADDITION: Change the default value for DefaultLoader to NvmExpressDxe-64.efi. Reboot, go into setup to set the usb drive as the 1st boot device, no need to enable legacy boot options or RAID. I did not need to reinstall windows - the cloned drive works the same as the old one except much faster. My machine boots off the Samsung Evo 970+ drive with no hesitation or glitches. Leave a non-bootable hard drive in the machine to avoid getting a "no hard drive' error on boot. If you do get this error, just select F1 to continue the boot process

573 Posts

February 19th, 2019 06:00

Hi all, 

I started a thread before telling my experience in details on how to make NVMe boot available for PC without CPU/motherboard/BIOS support, by the Clover boot loader method. See if it helps.

Precision T5600 PCIe boot success

March 24th, 2020 19:00

would you please provide some detail on how you did it 

2 Posts

April 3rd, 2021 08:00

So setup the usb drive as the boot device then it automatically uses the pciE adapter card to initialize the post? I'm not sure where this switch happens could you elaborate how going from usb to pciE adapter is selected. 

573 Posts

April 3rd, 2021 08:00

Hi @Valient6 ,

Once boot from the Clover USB drive, it will lead to a selection menu that you can choose your bootable NVMe drive as the boot drive:

jzWctJv.jpg

Someone even made a video for the whole process. See if it helps.

36 Posts

December 15th, 2021 17:00

We have an additional success story, though it will be of very limited use. Recently inherited a minimally configured T7610 (1 ES-2603 v2, 8 meg ram, AMD Firepro V4900, 500 gig Seagate HD) and read through this and all other similar threads. Of course Samsung 950's really can't be found now, but several mentioned there were a few other early M2 NVMe sticks that had legacy bios. Then someone mentioned one that made me sit up... Anyway acquired an Ezdiy card (yes all slightly missized: easiest fix: detach bracket 2 screws, use a 1/8" chainsaw file and make each hole in the card oval so now card can be pressed up against the bracket, then fits perfectly) mount my M.2, clone my UEFI boot drive, insert in Slot 3 (Slot 1 occupied by Creative SB Recon3D audio card). Remove original boot drive, reboot...and it all just works, Now the bad news: Plextor M8Se drives (in my case a 256gb stick) work as perfectly as the 950...but even more obscure. I'm amazed I had one...sheer luck. Originally a boot drive for a i5 Ivy Bridge build I did just about the same time Dell made this 7610...

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

March 28th, 2024 07:48

Hello

could you please share how you finally did it ? I am trying to do the same using a clone of a working and booting windows. I read that I should maybe try to change the boot sectors to GPT instead of MBR. I’ll try

best

No Events found!