Precision Fixed Workstations

Last reply by 12-15-2021 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
1 Copper
1 Copper

Booting from Samsun NVMe M.2 w/ DELL T7610 Workstation

Trying to get a DELL Precision Workstation to boot of the installed Samsung M.2 NVMe 512gb drive after installing Win10 Pro. The install goes fine form a USB drive generated with MediaCreator and booted as UEFI device. It sees the Samsung disk and completes the setup without errors, but the system will find drive or start after initial reboot (USB removed). 

Here is what I have done:

- Updated to latest BIOS
- Enable UEFI mode
- Enabled and Disabled Legacy options
- Enabled and Disabled SATA ACHI and LSI RAID

The BIOS does show a Mass Storage Device in PCI Slot 1. 

After install the Boot Sequence specifies Windows Boot Manager. 

We have reviewed other threads here as well as DELL's link - http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln300820/what-are-pcie-ssds-and-how-to-use-them-as-a-b...

Nothing seems to work, and I am hoping some has an idea. 

I have included some screens below:

Labels (4)
Replies (26)
3 Silver

Well, I acquired a newer model Samsung 960 Pro NVMe M.2 SSD and have run into the exact situation as everyone else.  I followed the same plan as I did before but after Win 10 was loaded it will not boot from the Dell Ultraspeed PCIe M.2 adapter.  I've tried several different approaches but no joy.

I am writing this with the T7610 booted with the older model Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD. It has been running nominal since I reloaded Win 10.

I installed the new 960 Pro in the Dell adapter's #2 slot as I was hoping it might be visible to the utility software but alas, it does not show on any I've tried.

As things stand at the moment: 1. I had no difficulty installing a Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD as a boot device using a Dell Ultraspeed PCIe M.2 adapter.   2. I have not been able to duplicate that with the newer model Samsung 960 Pro M.2 SSD.

A couple other ideas have just popped into my mind and as time allows I will test them out.

thanks for share your experience :
I bought a Dell Ultra Speed 80G5N PCIe adapter card
and  Samsung 950 Pro SSD
I will try next week and I will let you know.

Re: kikixxx; I sure hope your new setup works as easily as mine did :Yes:... 

-

Cont'd: Trying to get a Samsung 960 Pro M.2 using a Dell UltraSpeed adapter to work and/or boot in my T7610:

The SS 960 Pro did not show as an installed SSD M.2 in the Dell UltraSpeed adapter in either #1 or #2 slot of the adapter.  I found that Samsung has their own NVMe Storage Controller, so I downloaded it and installed it with the T7610 booting from a legacy SAS SSD.The SS 960 Pro had to be in slot #1 of the Dell adapter so the SS Controller software would see it and complete the install.  

I re-booted into the legacy SAS SSD to see if the SS 960 Pro was recognized and it was (Pic #1).  Then I used SS Magician to look for it and actually ran a R/W test (Pic #2), the R/W scores were amazing!  From there I used SS Data Migration to clone the legacy SSD startup drive to the SS 960 Pro, it was successful, the SS 960 Pro was now a clone of my SSD startup drive.

At this point I was ready to change the BIOS to UEFI and attempt to boot the SS 960 Pro and this is where I hit a snag.  I cannot get the BIOS to see the SS 960 Pro as a UEFI device, even though it is fully populated with Win 10 Pro. 

Time to stop and give it a rest, maybe tomorrow...

SS controller (2).JPGSamsung 960 Pro RW speed.JPG

Finally I got it!!!

my SSD M.2 NVMe is booting and working perfectly

thank you a lot!!!!!

note. the SSD NVMe M.2 boot with my another NVME Adapter Converter Card Generic.... $15 U.S

and the ULTRA Speed SSD M.2 PCIe x4 Solid State Storage Adapter Card 80G5N  is recommended but is not necessary

Many congratulations!!

Please tell us what procedure you followed to make this happen.  

Are you saying that a Dell UltraSpeed 80G5N adapter is not necessary? 

Reading kikixxx's statement about not needing a Dell Ultra Speed PCIe NVMe adapter to boot a NVMe M.2 SSD interested me so I did a little investigating and have some new results.

-----------------

Using a Samsung 950 Pro SSD this adapter WILL boot my T7610:  EZDIY-FAB PCI Express M.2 SSD NGFF PCIe Card to PCIe 3.0 x4 M2 Adapter Screen Shot 2018-08-29 at 9.08.08 AM.png------------------------------------

>This type of adapter will NOT boot the Samsung 950 Pro: Asus Hyper M.2 X4 Mini PCI-e

Screen Shot 2018-08-29 at 9.12.50 AM.png----------------------

> Next I tried my Samsung 960 Pro M.2 SSD and cannot get the Dell Ultra Speed, the EZ-DIY or Asus Mini to act as a boot drive.  The 960 Pro can be seen and Win 10 can be installed but it will not boot using the same technique I use with the 950 Pro SSD, baffling.

Summary:

1. The Samsung 950 Pro will act as a boot drive with the Dell and EZ-DYI PCIe M.2 adapters.

2. I cannot find a way to make the Samsung 960 Pro to act as the boot drive with any adapter.  I wonder what procedure I'm missing.

Mods, please delete

Duplicate post

Hi,

Please let me know:

1. What model of SSD NVMe M.2 used?

2. Here is the link to buy Generic NVME Adapter Converter Card, which can use with the SSD NVMe M.2.

Thanks for your support!

Re: MountainHN

1. The only SSD I've been successful in using is a Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD. 

2.  I am currently booting from this:  EZDIY-FAB PCI Express M.2 SSD NGFF PCIe Card to PCIe 3.0 x4 M2 Adapter

(I can also use the Dell Ultra Speed adapter)

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor