Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

14 Posts

October 5th, 2018 05:00

Brand New 5820 - Cannot boot from USB devices in UEFI Mode

Can anyone advise how to boot from a USB device in UEFI mode. We have literally tried 5 different manufacturers of pen drive, all of which work fine on other devices.

Not very impressed with this brand new £5000 machine........ Our £500 laptops can do this?!?!

It boots from the same USB media in legacy only.

1 Rookie

• 

14 Posts

October 16th, 2019 04:00

For the benefit of others, here is the solution:

The 5820 devices do not appear to have a UEFI boot mode that uses CSM.

Most Dell laptops support booting in *both* Legacy and UEFI mode using USB devices created using MBR and NTFS. CSM is required for this i believe.

The 5820 and 5810 devices cannot boot in UEFI mode using USB media created with MBR and NTFS. In particular, SCCM creates all boot media using MBR and NTFS for compatibility because it will work (on most devices) for both boot modes.

The 5820 will boot using any USB port, if you create using GPT and FAT32. Using the Rufus tool is the easiest way to achieve this.

Hope this helps!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 5th, 2018 15:00

In UEFI, I think if it's not a "Microsoft blessed" BootKit you have to disable SecureBoot.

Why not just boot it in Legacy.

1 Rookie

• 

14 Posts

October 8th, 2018 01:00

I already disabled secure boot, that makes no difference.

In this environment, if I dont boot the device in UEFI mode, the disk partitions and files system are not created to support a UEFI operating system, so i cannot install an OS.

Anyway, the reason is irrelevant - I expect a new device to be able to do this, and this 5820 cannot.

Please advise.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 10th, 2018 09:00

It seems the industry is further locking-down potentially un-authorized booting. You can try disabling SecureBoot, but often, that is not enough on these new machines. For example, this OptiPlex-5060 is very new like yours.

https://www.dell.com/community/Optiplex-Desktops/5060-boot-Legacy-External-Device/td-p/6090625

So, you can use Legacy boot for bootable Diags or whatever.

But for loading Windows and (popular) Linux distros ... set it to UEFI. If SecureBoot's restrictions seem to stay in effect (even when disabled) it might be the work of recent UEFI class/version security changes.

Seems to me that they are trying to get machines only booting (and loading) from Microsoft blessed media or via secure network server.

1 Message

February 26th, 2019 13:00

A shot in the dark, but I seem to remember that I could only boot my 5820 from a usb device plugged into the sockets on the rear of the box. It failed to boot if the usb sockets on the front panel were used.

February 28th, 2019 06:00

Hey Mikhail, I sense your frustration, but you don't understand UEFI my friend. What are you trying to install?

Booting in legacy mode will work for old operating systems, but most popular windows and Linux distros support uefi install from a usb. The fault is with the usb image and formatting, not with the computer.

Tesla has give you good information.

1 Rookie

• 

14 Posts

October 16th, 2019 03:00

@CharlesIsWorking 

Your arrogant and condescending response is very unhelpful, you should really time a moment to think before peering down your nose at people on a public forum. You haven't the faintest idea of my knowledge or background.

November 13th, 2019 09:00

Apologies to you, Mikhail. It was not my intent.

No Events found!