Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

2 Posts

May 26th, 2020 16:00

CPU Compatibility Of BIOS A03

Im wondering where i could get a list of CPUs that BIOS version A03 supports.

Specifically, i am looking to upgrade my Xeon E5-1607 v2 cpu to either Xeon E5-1620 v2, or Xeon E5-1660 v2.

From my reading, it looks like both chips would be compatible with the LGA2011 Socket,  so i just want to verify whether the current BIOS will support either chip, or if its just a matter of switching the hardware and booting up.

Any advice on that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

CJ

March 27th, 2021 23:00

very limited, ngl, 

173 Posts

March 28th, 2021 10:00

Given that the current version of most bios is A33 (at least for T7910), why is keeping A03 important?  Granted, I don't know what model computer you have, and A03 may be the latest for your computer.  But it's very easy to determine the latest BIOS and upgrade.  Don't feel limited to A03.

There's a site that gives you some ideas about CPU upgrades.  Try this:

https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/Intel/Xeon/E5-1607_v2.html

It does look like there are some options.  Make sure that the new chip is not too "hot", that is, make sure that the new chips thermal design power (TDP) is not too much higher than the 130W of your current chip.

The options seem all to be in the "V2" version level, but a E5-2697 v2, for about $120, might bump your speed a bit. Memory may also be limiting: if you have DDR3-800 installed, moving to DDR3-1600 would probably allow your new CPU to show more power.

Having said all this, you are looking at technology that's 8 or so years old, and any hardware, memory, mobo, or other components may be a bit work-worn.  So there's a risk that you get everything working spiffy, but than something conks out and you end up spending more on upgrading than you would if you found a new machine.  I see a refurbed T3600 with a 2690 (about 3x faster than your machine) with 32Gb of memory - for less than 300 bucks

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

March 28th, 2021 18:00

What model Precision do you have?

It's typically wise to update BIOS before updating hardware.

No Events found!