Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 20th, 2021 14:00

CPU swap between two Dell 3640

ATM, I have two 3640 towers. Specs no 1: 64GB of DDR4-2666 RAM ECC, CPU = Xeon W-1250P.

Specs no 2:

16GB of DDR4-2933 RAM Non-ECC, CPU = Xeon W-1270P.

I decided to sell Dell No 2, but want to keep the faster CPU. So, my plan is to swap the CPUs. I know that the RAM will slow down to 2666 (machine 2) because the xeon w-1250 won't support DDR4-2933, and the ECC won't be faster than 2666. I take that. I hope the rest will be fine and both computers will run smoothy. I upgraded CPUs in the past (Mac Pro 3.1 to 5.1, HP workstations), so I know what to do. But I want to be sure, that the swap between my Dells is okay. Thanks for a confirmation or disagreement.  

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

@anamnesis57 

Please press the blue Accept as Solution button below if the post answers your question.

There is no issue in changing cpu but take care when replacing the thermal paste.

Warranty is only supported on the cpu that the system shipped with.

Other than that I do not find any issues.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

September 22nd, 2021 00:00

@anamnesis57 

Please press the blue Accept as Solution button below if this answers your question.

Warranty Terms are very specific.

Dell  hardware warranties

What is covered by this limited hardware warranty?

What is not covered by this limited hardware warranty?

How long does this limited hardware warranty last?

Important Notice Relating to Third Party Product
What do I do if I need warranty service?

What will Dell do?

What if I purchased a service contract?

May I transfer the limited hardware warranty?
Dell Printer Consumables Limited Warranties
Limited Lifetime Warranty for Dell-branded tape media

What is covered by this limited hardware warranty?

This limited hardware warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship in your Dell-branded hardware products, including Dell-branded peripheral products.

"I have seen an opinion that the warranty may stay valid if the parts are certified by Dell for the specific platform. Obviously, these are certified. But you should inquire Dell, and if positive, save the e-mail in order to support the later claims."

Dell certified parts purchased DIRECTLY FROM DELL are covered.

parts and systems from 3rd party sites like walmart, ebay, amazon are NOT covered by Dell warranty.

17 Posts

Ah, sorry to bother you again: will the warranty be gone for the computer or only for the CPU in the case of a failure? Thanks a lot!

17 Posts

Thanks again for your speedy answer, Speedstep. Technically I know how to replace a cpu (cleaning and applying new termal paste etc), but your  note about the warranty worries me. Both machines have warranty till end of 2024. Okay, I will not do it then. 

202 Posts

September 21st, 2021 17:00

I have seen an opinion that the warranty may stay valid if the parts are certified by Dell for the specific platform. Obviously, these are certified. But you should inquire Dell, and if positive, save the e-mail in order to support the later claims.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

September 22nd, 2021 00:00

@anamnesis57 

"Ah, sorry to bother you again: will the warranty be gone for the computer or only for the CPU in the case of a failure? Thanks a lot!"

Warranty is only for the original configuration based on the service tag.

Please press the blue Accept as Solution button below if this answers your question.

If you change parts to something that did not ship with your machine Dell is not obligated to honor warranty.

It would be like buying a new car and replacing the brakes and the engine and transmission with 3rd party parts.  Any factory warranty for the car would be void.

202 Posts

September 23rd, 2021 17:00

Hey, speedstep. Do you read messages, or flooding the topics with oversized self-proclamations, and colored caps is more important to you?

ss>Dell certified parts purchased DIRECTLY FROM DELL
anamnesis57> I have two 3640 towers.

So, both are purchased directly from Dell. Both are the same platform on the warranty.

Therefore, it is technically possible that the CPU swapping is covered by the warranty (if there is no damage to the socket, which is the user action and responsibility).

anamnesis57 should contact Dell directly. And Dell have an obligation to reply, since it is an active warranty case.

1 Rookie

• 

9 Posts

September 26th, 2021 11:00

If you replace a disk drive with one you purchase from Seagate, the remainder of the system is still covered under the warranty only if you did not break the system while installing the disk drive. The manufacturer may however refuse to honor the warranty if items are incorrectly installed. So for instance if you install a faster processor but don't use the approved heatsink FOR THAT PROCESSOR they can refuse to cover motherboard issues. And beware - sometimes there are OTHER items (like increased fan size, or a heatsink for the voltage regulator), that if you don't install them, the manufacturer will legitimately be able to back out of warrantying the system. But if you install factory parts (even if not purchased from the manufacturer) and you can show that you installed any other required parts to support the configuration (like the right CPU cooler or the VR heatsink) then you would be able to prevail if the manufacturer tried to avoid warranty coverage - but they would NOT cover the items you purchase elsewhere, even if they are OEM parts.

(edited)

No Events found!