Highlighted
Guswah
1 Nickel

Cabling an H710P card

Jump to solution

I recently acquired an H710P card and I want to install it in my T7600.  (I have the two cables.)

Believe it or not, I've searched for at least an hour and cannot find a single word about how to perform the simple task of cabling this thing to the motherboard.  Not in the manual, and not anywhere online.

1.  The two HDDs I presume are funnelled together and plugged into SAS0 on the board.  SAS1 is unused and has a cover on it.

2.  There are two ports on the H710P.  Do I simply remove the cable from SAS0 and plug it into one of those two ports?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bmcowboy
3 Argentium

Re: Cabling an H710P card

Jump to solution

Hi @Guswah ,

I know how it feel, bro. Sometimes official manual do not mention things that actually needed to be clarified.

Question 0: About AUX_LED

AUX_LED cable stand for a 4-pin cable connecting the corresponding ports from motherboard to RAID card, so that the HDD LED on the front panel of your T7600 amber when hard drives connected to the RAID card is running. 

- Corresponding port on H710P

JJ8XD__81206.1472766791.jfif

- Corresponding port on T7600 motherboard

T7600_AUX.PNG

- AUX_LED cable (Dell part number MJVKM)

dell-mjvmk-aux-led-light-cable-for-h310-h710-precision-t3600-raid-controller-45358-p.jpg

Note: It's just for LED amber. Your H710p will work fine even without this connection.

Question 1: About hard drive cables

You didn't mention what kind of existing hard drives in your system, SAS or SATA? Base on your description of  "two HDDs funnelled together and plugged into SAS0" I guess they are SATA hard drives with this cable:

- mini SAS to dual SATA cable (Dell part number T3F4V)

s-l500.jpg

To determine if you can "simply remove the cable from SAS0 and plug it into one of those two ports", it depends if your system environment already with RAID or not.

a) If your duel hard drives not in RAID with OS on one of them,

1. Install H710P with no hard drives connected.
  2. Boot up into Windows and install H710P driver.
  3. Shut down and move cable connection from SAS0 on T7600 motherboard to one of the SAS ports on H710P. No need disconnect any connection on the HDDs side.
  4. Power on T7600 and get into BIOS. Set RAID controller card as primary boot device.
  5. You should now be able to boot into Windows with HDDs on H710P.

b) If your duel hard drives already in RAID with OS on them,

3. Clone existing RAID onto a spare hard drive (can be internal SATA drive or external USB drive) as backup, with utility like Maricum Reflect which able to clone/imaging hard drives when Windows is running and able to create an USB rescue stick.  
  4. Shut down and move cable connection from SAS0 on T7600 motherboard to one of the SAS ports on H710P. No need disconnect any connection on the HDDs side.
  5. Power on T7600 and get into BIOS. Set RAID controller card as primary boot device.
  6. Reboot and get into H710P BIOS. Rebuild a new RAID with existing two HDDs.
  7. Reboot again with Maricum Reflect USB rescue stick. Restore backup from cloned drive or image onto the newly created RAID.
  8. You should now be able to boot into Windows with HDDs in RAID on H710P.

Note: Although sometimes people may not need to rebuild RAID when swapping from motherboard to RAID card, it's quite risky that you may lose everything when it's not working. The backup-and-restore strategy provides you the best safety control.

Question 2: About SAS connector

With operation mentioned above, the SAS connector on the hard drive cable should now be connected to one of the SAS ports on H710P, and nothing connected to SAS0 port on T7600 motherboard. 

Question 3: About small female connectors on H710P

I guess there is only one connector left that not yet mentioned, and that is the UART connector.

Dell-PowerEdge-PERC-RAID-Controller-H710P-1GB-SAS-6GB-S-Dell-P-N-7GCGT-FH-brack-36722-p.jpg

Similar port exist on my H310 that labeled with specific meanings.

H310_J_UART1.jpg

It's a debug port and generic users like you and me no need to concern about it. Your H710P will work fine without any connection on this port.

Hopefully information above helps.

“May the Force be with Dell.”
7 Replies
U2CAMEB4ME
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution

Welcome to the Dell Community  @Guswah 

Not the H710P but it may help???

How to set up Dell PowerEdge RAID Controller H310 cards on a Precision workstation:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln132460/how-to-set-up-dell-poweredge-raid-controller...

Dell PowerEdge RAID Controller (PERC) H310, H710, H710P, and H810 User’s Guide:

Microsoft Registered Refurbisher
Microsoft Registered Partner
Windows Operating System lifecycle fact sheet
Lifecycle begins when released and ends when no longer supported
0 Kudos
Guswah
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Thanks for your efforts, but I've read all of these documents. Neither the manual nor the links you provided give specific instructions for the ports/connectors involved in the installation. Unlike the system manual, there are no diagrams that state the card components, and specifically the name of the two small connectors below the SAS ports.

The page you recommended says: "Connect the AUX_LED cable to the H310 connector labeled SAS_ACT_LED_Conn." So for starters I need to know what's meant by the AUX_LED cable. Again, no diagram. I'm pretty sure the H310 refers to an earlier version, but my card is H710P. And it would be nice to find "SAS_ACT_LED_Conn", but nothing of the sort is labelled on the card, on the motherboard, or in the literature.

I'm sure this is not difficult. In absence of any clear instructions from Dell, I would be happy just to know:

1. Where do the two dedicated RAID cables connect on both the PCIe card AND on their opposing ends, and ...

2. What happens to the SAS connector that currently joins the HDDs with SAS0 on the motherboard?

3. What gets plugged into the small female connectors, if anything, below the two ports on the H710P card?

0 Kudos
bmcowboy
3 Argentium

Jump to solution

Hi @Guswah ,

I know how it feel, bro. Sometimes official manual do not mention things that actually needed to be clarified.

Question 0: About AUX_LED

AUX_LED cable stand for a 4-pin cable connecting the corresponding ports from motherboard to RAID card, so that the HDD LED on the front panel of your T7600 amber when hard drives connected to the RAID card is running. 

- Corresponding port on H710P

JJ8XD__81206.1472766791.jfif

- Corresponding port on T7600 motherboard

T7600_AUX.PNG

- AUX_LED cable (Dell part number MJVKM)

dell-mjvmk-aux-led-light-cable-for-h310-h710-precision-t3600-raid-controller-45358-p.jpg

Note: It's just for LED amber. Your H710p will work fine even without this connection.

Question 1: About hard drive cables

You didn't mention what kind of existing hard drives in your system, SAS or SATA? Base on your description of  "two HDDs funnelled together and plugged into SAS0" I guess they are SATA hard drives with this cable:

- mini SAS to dual SATA cable (Dell part number T3F4V)

s-l500.jpg

To determine if you can "simply remove the cable from SAS0 and plug it into one of those two ports", it depends if your system environment already with RAID or not.

a) If your duel hard drives not in RAID with OS on one of them,

3. Shut down and move cable connection from SAS0 on T7600 motherboard to one of the SAS ports on H710P. No need disconnect any connection on the HDDs side.
  4. Power on T7600 and get into BIOS. Set RAID controller card as primary boot device.
  5. You should now be able to boot into Windows with HDDs on H710P.

b) If your duel hard drives already in RAID with OS on them,

3. Clone existing RAID onto a spare hard drive (can be internal SATA drive or external USB drive) as backup, with utility like Maricum Reflect which able to clone/imaging hard drives when Windows is running and able to create an USB rescue stick.  
  4. Shut down and move cable connection from SAS0 on T7600 motherboard to one of the SAS ports on H710P. No need disconnect any connection on the HDDs side.
  5. Power on T7600 and get into BIOS. Set RAID controller card as primary boot device.
  6. Reboot and get into H710P BIOS. Rebuild a new RAID with existing two HDDs.
  7. Reboot again with Maricum Reflect USB rescue stick. Restore backup from cloned drive or image onto the newly created RAID.
  8. You should now be able to boot into Windows with HDDs in RAID on H710P.

Note: Although sometimes people may not need to rebuild RAID when swapping from motherboard to RAID card, it's quite risky that you may lose everything when it's not working. The backup-and-restore strategy provides you the best safety control.

Question 2: About SAS connector

With operation mentioned above, the SAS connector on the hard drive cable should now be connected to one of the SAS ports on H710P, and nothing connected to SAS0 port on T7600 motherboard. 

Question 3: About small female connectors on H710P

I guess there is only one connector left that not yet mentioned, and that is the UART connector.

Dell-PowerEdge-PERC-RAID-Controller-H710P-1GB-SAS-6GB-S-Dell-P-N-7GCGT-FH-brack-36722-p.jpg

Similar port exist on my H310 that labeled with specific meanings.

H310_J_UART1.jpg

It's a debug port and generic users like you and me no need to concern about it. Your H710P will work fine without any connection on this port.

Hopefully information above helps.

Guswah
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Amazing response, bmcowboy.  I couldn't ask for better.  Many, many thanks.

0 Kudos
Guswah
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Whoops, I just noticed something.  Since I would qualify as

b) If your dual hard drives already in RAID with OS on them,

... then I'll start with your first two points:

That's an immediate problem.  I can't boot up into Windows with no hard drives connected, and presumably you mean connected to the H710P.

I had already tried this, that is, booting with RAIDified hard drives connected through the SAS0 port and with the unconnected RAID card in the PCIe slot, in hopes of installing drivers through Windows 10's recognition of the card.  But the system won't even boot if I do that, telling me there are no drives connected, and proving that once the H710P is inserted in PCIe, then there is an automatic bypass from normal SATA drive connectivity. 

I've also made many attempts to install the H710P drivers through a reinstall of Windows 10 (via USB) that  always result in failure, with both unsigned-driver messages and an overall non-recognition of any drives in the system where the OS will install itself.

This, BTW, is what led me to question the cabling.  Apparently I had it right, but I began to think otherwise.

All I can say is shame on Dell for creating such a problem.  And since I bought the H710P after the expiry of the warranty, Dell appears to defer all responsibility to good samaritans like you.

0 Kudos
bmcowboy
3 Argentium

Jump to solution

Interesting that something people don't know how to make it and then identified as a problem created by the manufacturer. Also interesting that people saving money on purchasing something already out of warranty rather than a brand new one, and still expecting services from the manufacturer as a life-time responsibility.

The most interesting one: How **bleep** I was that missing "on it" right behind "Install H710P with no hard drives connected" and hoping people smart enough to get what I meant.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
Guswah
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

1.  I hope you noticed that I understood perfectly what you meant about "no drives connected".  You might want to read my words again.

2.  I bought the computer brand new many years ago.  I bought the H710P advertised as new about one month ago.  What troubles me is that it has become clear that I'm not the first to have installation problems with the H710P.  So it would be reasonable for Dell to create a page describing the remedy for hundreds of people just like me.

0 Kudos