Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 17th, 2022 11:00

DELL Precision T5600 workstation overheating problem.

Hi,

recently I've upgraded my system storage from 250 to 500GB sata m.2. I was using EaseUS DIsk Copy to clone the old drive to the new one, because I didn't want to waste time making a fresh install, software configuration and so on. The cloned system booted as expected, but after few days the computer started to freeze with blue screens.
I've never had such problems before with this machine, it has never been giving me BS, so I was thinking that probably something must went wrong during the clone drive process, until today, when the computer gave me this screen:

IvanovOgnianBG_0-1663439120598.png

The computer used to work in much hotter days without showing me such warnings, it actually shows this message for the first time.
This is the BIOS error log screen:

IvanovOgnianBG_1-1663439295430.png

And these are the stats from the HWinfo program, while the computer is running only web browser and Skype:

IvanovOgnianBG_3-1663439381784.png

I've checked the maximum load temperature for my CPU and it seems that even without running heavy programs like AAA games or game engines(I'm working mostly with Unity engine) the CPU's are between 70 and 65 C

IvanovOgnianBG_2-1663439312977.png

Last time I changed the thermal paste was 2 or 3 yrs ago and it was some noctua paste, don't remember which one.
What do you think might be the problem? Thank you!

• 

25.1K Posts

September 19th, 2022 08:00

Hello, I see you are looking for technical assistance. If you need our help, you can start a private message with us and we will be happy to assist you.

21 Posts

September 17th, 2022 12:00

You should open up the case in your PC and then turn it on. If your PC got hotter than expected, it doesn't always have to be at the CPU point. Replacing the Thermal paste also might help. Some options I'd give is to unplug the CPU cooler, clean and replace the thermal paste, and clean the fan. If that doesn't work, your SSD/HDD might be faulty.

235 Posts

September 17th, 2022 13:00

Second point of the message mentions fan (or airflow) issues as possible cause.
Replacing storage is mechanical operation inside computer incl. cable management changes.
Therefore there's a possibility what something was misaligned and blocked airflow (or redirected it in a wrong way) or fan got obstructed (loose cable can sometimes stop it completely being caught in a blades) or even fan cable has loose connection (once I've forgotten to connect it, but it system automatically raised error during post).

Generally T5600 are very old systems (released 10 years ago) and there's a risk what any internal intervention can cause some issues.

Low grade thermal paste service life is between 2-3 years (better ones can last up to 5 years), accidentally pressing too much on a heatsink under wrong angle can lead to thermal contact integrity issues (especially if thermal compound has dried up and lost flexibility).

Obviously fans do have limited lifetime too (measured in hours) and can fail quietly (although there's BIOS controller level detection for RPM and your screenshot clearly says it's operational at around 1000 RPM on both CPUs) - nonetheless as lifetime approaches to the end it's normally highly recommended to replace those without waiting for failure event (as it can cause undesired and unexpected downtime or worse - permanent damage to other components).

September 19th, 2022 08:00

Thank you guys for the suggestions, but I'm not sure the problem have something to do with overheating. I tested the computer during the night, the cpu temperatures were high again around 60-65 Celsius, but not hot enough to cause shutdown, after around one hour of running it showed blue screen and restarted, so I guess the problem is not related to overheating. Also there were no cable management during the ssd replacement due to the fact the ssd are connected via pci expansion cards

21 Posts

September 19th, 2022 17:00

I'm not sure if this problem is solved, but if it isn't, I'd also suggest trying to update windows, update your graphics card, and if not then, it might be your power supply, or in the rare chances, your memory (ram).

No Events found!