Highlighted
L-Goh
1 Nickel

Dell Precision T1700 - RAM Mixture

Hi All,

Not sure if i am at the right board but here's my question.

I have a T1700 and would like to know if it is possible to have a mixture of RAM in it? For example, 16gb, 4gb, , 4gb and 8gb.

Or do i have to have the same as in 8,8,8,8  (since the t1700 can support a max of 32gb) ?

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: Dell Precision T1700 - RAM Mixture

L-Goh,

Below are the memory specs for the T1700.

Dell - Dell Precision T1700 - Essential Knowledge

• Memory Support

The memory offer for Dell Precision T1700 has been updated to support a maximum of 32GB memory in 4 DIMM slots. It also provides support for memory speed 1600MHz DDR3 ECC UDIMM or Non-ECC memory, as well as DIMM Density of 1GB, 2GB, 4GB and up to 8GB. Its minimum supported memory size is 2GB.

Dell - Dell Precision T1700 - System Specifications

Memory
Type DDR3 Synch DRAM Non-ECC and ECC
Memory Speed 1600MHz
Memory Connectors 4
Memory Capacities Up to 8GB
Minimum Memory 2GB
Maximum Memory 32GB
Memory options
ECC UDIMM Memory Non-ECC Memory (NECC)
32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3, 1600MHz
16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3, 1600MHz
16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3, 1600MHz
8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3, 1600MHz
8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3, 1600MHz
4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3, 1600MHz
X 2GB (1 x 2GB) DDR3, 1600MHz

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Where do I find my Dell PC Service Tag or Express service code?
Where do I post SA (SupportAssist) issue/questions?
0 Kudos
seekingbuddha
1 Nickel

This  seems like a good thread  to bring together all memory related  issues.  So,  here are some further questions on  Precision T1700 RAM.  I am getting a Mini-tower version of this soon.  So, here are my questions....

1. From the table above,  it is not clear if  i can  use  Non-ECC  to  upgrade from 16GB.  
  2. Can i have a mix of ECC & non-ECC  (2 and 2 of each to get to 32 GB) ??  Or do they all have to be the same kind  (ie.  4x 8gb  of  non-ecc will work)  ?
  3. From the other  thread here,  it seems like only  Unbuffered ECC can be used,  not  Registered memory. Can you confirm this ?
  4. Is only  low voltage (1.35V)   supported,  or both  1.35 as well as 1.5V  are  supported ?  Again,  can there be a mix of  different voltage specs in the  DIMMs ?
0 Kudos

As a rule, you may not use ECC and non-ECC memory together as well as registered and un-registered RAM.

Also, you may not mix RAM voltages.

They must be uniform in those specs, as the memory controller will be confused on how to treat the ram. There can be minor variances in the timings, but usually the system will select the slowest of the ram sticks' reported speeds to run them all at.

This applies across most computer systems and is not limited to the Dell T1700.

Proverbs 4:7 - Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom; Yea, with all thy getting get understanding.

0 Kudos