Start a Conversation

Unsolved

1 Message

October 4th, 2018 21:00

Dell Precision Tower 3620 wifi card issue

This discussion is about a Dell Precision Tower 3620. I can't find a board category for that, so please forgive me for posting it in the wrong place. 

I'm having an issue with my wifi and I'm looking for some help troubleshooting the problem.

I installed a wifi card on it, and it worked fine for about three months. Then the tower sat in a box for three months while I moved. Then when I started it up, the wifi started having problems. The only website it can connect to is google. It's a tp-link TL-WN881ND PCI express card.

Things I have tried:

1. taking the card out and putting it back in, just in case it was loose. (did not help)
2. putting the card in a different slot (did not help)
3. completely wiping the system in case it was some sort of settings problem (did not help)
4. using a USB wifi dongle (works fine)
5. buying a new wifi card (new card has same issue, tp-link AC1300 Archer T6E)
6. using other browsers (chrome, edge, internet explorer, firefox, all have the same issue)
7. the *only* website that responds to a ping is google.com. 

Also, after I plugged the new card in and installed the drivers, my second monitor started blinking on and off. This happened when I installed the first card as well, but I changed which display port it was plugged into, and that stopped it. I did that again (I may have plugged the monitor into the port that was having the issue before when I swapped cards), and it didn't help right away but it seems okay for the moment.

To me this looks like there might be a driver issue that is conflicting with the second monitor, or possibly a motherboard issue with using those PCI slots at all. The only other thing that's happened with this computer is that after about a month of using it, I upgraded from 8 to 16gb of ram. 

Any suggestions? What else can I do to try and figure out what the issue is? The computer, monitor, and both wifi cards are still under warranty, so I am probably going to end up calling Dell anyway, I just want to exhaust my options before I go there.

No Responses!
No Events found!