Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 18th, 2018 19:00

Dell Precision t3500 not recognizing keyboard in BIOS

Hello, I have a Dell precesion T3500 and am trying to get it working and install an OS on it. It boots fine and gets to a part in the boot sequence where it says “Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics”

I am unable but to use the keyboard to press any of these function keys. I have tried here separate keyboards, a PS/2 to usb converter, using the onboard USB, and even disconnecting the hard drives. I have tried 3 different GPUs and 2 hard drives. I have a spare motherboard but I think that one is water damaged. On the front, I have the POST light of 1, 2, and 3. Resetting CMOS and reseating/replacing the battery did nothing. I have also tried two cpus and none of this gets rid of that error. Can you suggest what I can do in order to install windows or at least get a keyboard to work in the BIOS?

October 31st, 2018 21:00

Update, the PS/2 keyboard didn’t work. I have another one of these boards in a closet and it worked. A swap of them and it now works totally fine. Somehow the motherboard is broken, probably water damage as it was outside for a little bit. I think I’m calling it dead. Thanks all of you. 

October 19th, 2018 16:00

Ive already read through that. There was no information about my sprecific error or how to fix it.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

October 21st, 2018 22:00

My computer didn't like it either when I tried adapting a PS/2 keyboard to USB.  You mentioned "using the onboard USB."  Does that also mean you tried a USB keyboard?

October 22nd, 2018 06:00

Yes, I’ve tried 3 different usb keyboards and placed them in all the USB ports, even the one inside the computer on the motherboard. 

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

October 28th, 2018 23:00

Hi @DELL-Alasdair R,

An answer hasn't come yet in this thread.  Is it the motherboard?

October 29th, 2018 06:00

How would I go about flashing the BiOS if I can’t use a keyboard?

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

October 29th, 2018 12:00

I corrected my question in the post above yours.  For some reason, my thinking erred and thought Windows was operational.  Please never mind my previous error.  Somebody else also had a problem with inoperational USB's.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

October 31st, 2018 13:00

Hi @Tesla1856,

Would you be interested in helping with this one?  You're expertise is beyond mine.  None of the USB's are working in BIOS.  1 2 3 lights were mentioned as on.  According to diagnostics, 2 3 4 lights would indicate USB subsystem failure.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 31st, 2018 14:00

@Brainstormz123 wrote:
How would I go about flashing the BiOS if I can’t use a keyboard?

I don't think you can.

Your troubleshooting is good. Sometimes, it's just as it appears ... a bad motherboard or other serious hardware problem.

October 31st, 2018 19:00

When I get home, I’ll try a PS/2 keyboard and see if it works

56 Posts

My T3500 would only use a PS/2 keyboard/mouse plugged into the PS/2 ports on the back of the machine during a BIOS session, USB keyboards would not work until an OS was installed.  Has this been tried?

If I disconnect the hard drive and plug in the windows install usb drive, when it launches into the windows install menu, both the mouse and keyboard work. The keyboard and mouse only don’t work in the bios. Because the drive is disconnected, I can’t install an OS. I put windows on the drive and found it wouldn’t automatically boot to it and I need to press f1 for it to boot from the drive. I hope that makes sense

No Events found!