Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

March 8th, 2018 09:00

Enabling TPM prevents Windows from booting

I have a Precision T5400 workstation with a working Windows 10 installation. TPM is disabled in BIOS.

I want to enable BitLocker with TPM. However, when I enable TPM in BIOS, Windows will not boot: it keeps loading (rotating white dots on black screen) and will never reach the login screen. The same happens with Windows 10 installation media (USB boot): the installation wizard will only start if TPM is disabled in BIOS. It does not matter if TPM is activated or deactivated: both prevent booting if TPM is in the enabled state.

I have another T5400 and the same happens also on that machine. So I don't think it's a bad motherboard.

I have upgraded BIOS to the latest A11, but it does not help. I also cannot reach safe mode. Everything works as usual once I disable TPM, but then it's obviously not visible in Windows.

3 Posts

March 14th, 2018 07:00

Not meaning to be impatient, does anyone have a clue? This machine needs to be encrypted. If the answer is "not compatible", I'll take that, too. We can use PIN instead of TPM with BitLocker. TPM is just more convenient :)

1 Message

July 17th, 2018 01:00

Mine also has some problems when Tpm enabled. I'm using alienware 15 r2. I think the keys inside that module corrupted.

July 19th, 2021 05:00

I have made a little progress, but no solution(ish).  Has your system got dual GPUs or have both PCIe x16 slots occupied?

After much trial and error I have the TPM enabled and can boot, but I had to remove one of my GPUs, when I plug it back in, same problem.

Even updated the CLPD to A02 in desperation, but does not help.

Exact same issue as you, but as it will not even reach the point where it can start a boot log, it really is a pain to trouble shoot.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

September 1st, 2021 22:00

Bitlocker Requires UEFI GPT class 2.3.1 bios.

The Precision T5400 is a 2007 windows XP/ Vista model with class 1 UEFI if it has UEFI at all. Windows 7 came out in 2009 and windows 8 with UEFI 2.3.1 bios came out in 2012.

The other issue is that AMD crossfire is supported but NVIDIA SLI is not. Crossfire requires a bridge on top of the cards.

The video is a T3400 but the principle is the same.

VISTA CAPABLE.png

It absolutely does not have UEFI Class 2.3.1  windows 8 Bios with secure boot and Key in bios. Bitlocker does not support MBR Legacy Boot Drives.

BIOS that meets the UEFI 2.3.1 specifications provides the following benefits:

• Ability to support Windows 10 security features like Secure Boot, Microsoft Defender Credential Guard, and Microsoft Defender Exploit Guard. All require UEFI 2.3.1 or higher firmware.

precision-t5400_reference guide_and specifications

microsoft.com/oem-uefi 2.3.1

UEFI3b.jpgUEFI_Classes.jpg

September 2nd, 2021 02:00

I have a sort of solution, although think I need to tinker more, turning off Intel SpeedStep in the BIOS solved the boot issues.

TPM is enabled and required drives are now encrypted.

RX 560 are happily in bridgeless Cross Fire.

Windows 10 boots with no problems.

Happy Days!  Not seen any loss in performace disabling SpeedStep, run a few benchmarks and games, so know Cross Fire is working and benchmarks between having SpeedStep enabled and disabled have the same scores.  Going to continue testing thought, but system seems happy and is where I want it to be.

No Events found!