samirbajaj
1 Nickel

Installing NVMe SSD in Precision 5820 / FlexBay

Hi all,

I was advised by Dell Support to buy the following product when I asked them for suggestions on a second drive in my Precision 5820.

A week, and $250 later, all I got was this gum-stick-sized SSD, with no case or holder of any sort. How do I install this in my machine's FlexBay slot? There's already one in there (factory installed), but it is encased properly, so it fits like it should.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/visiontek-pro-solid-state-drive-500-gb-internal-m2-2280-pci-expr...

I have been unsuccessful in getting support from Dell on installing this, so I am turning to the community for help.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thank you.

PS - I'm running Ubuntu 16.04, but all I need is guidance on the (physical) installation.

8 Replies

Re: Installing NVMe SSD in Precision 5820 / FlexBay

Hi samirbajaj,

Here's a short video showing how to install the drive in the Flexbay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tc70Mosa2I

If you don't have the second bay/module to fit it in, the kit part number is 400-AVDR.

I hope this helps.

DELL-Alasdair R
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 10am-5pm GMT (BST)
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

How to install a M.2 module. The Dell Quick Resource Locator (QRL) provides immediate access to extensive system information, troubleshooting, documents, and detailed how-to videos using a smartphone and a model specific QR code found on QRL supported Dell Products. To see more, visit ...
0 Kudos
padolife
1 Copper

How do I install the little box box this person is inserting into this computer. I need to access the nvme controller of a precision 5820 in the flex bay. Just like in the picture, just like in the video.

Thanks.Screenshot (69).pngScreenshot (70).pngScreenshot (67).png

0 Kudos
kyleframp
1 Copper

My problem is similar to that of the OP, except that I do not have any NVMe drives currently installed. I believe you are saying that the silver box pictured in the video is part number 400-AVDR, but it is not clear to me how I might purchase this part. What is the part called? If I do not have any SSD drives currently installed in my 5820 frame, do I need to first install a controller of some sort?

0 Kudos

Hi kyleframp,

Hopefully this article will help you find what you need:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln312251/upgrading-storage-in-the-dell-precision-5820...

Please be aware that systems with Xeon W CPUs support two NVMe drives in the Flex Bays, whilst Core X Series CPUs support only one.

https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/precision-5820-workstation_owners-manual2_en-us.pdf  (page 69)

To purchase the parts, go to the Dell website and click on the Chat or Call sidebar on the right hand side of the page and they will be able to assist.

DELL-Alasdair R
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 10am-5pm GMT (BST)
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
heyjamesob
1 Copper

I'm in the same position as the OP. It's hard to believe that the experience here is so bad for end-users. Why aren't we able to purchase the required part on Dell's website? Why do I need to contact customer support just in order to purchase this part? Why isn't it made clear in the owner's manual (or anywhere else) that in order to add NVMe storage to these workstations, a customer must navigate a labyrinthine series of online forums?

Because of experiences like this, I won't be recommending Dell workstations to anyone any time soon.

j_dimsdale
1 Copper

How can I purchase a 400-AVDR? Dell says it’s an internal part number that can’t be bought Smiley Sad
0 Kudos
manuel_ar
1 Copper

0 Kudos
manuel_ar
1 Copper

I too fell into this trouble
Dell itself is not able to sell the Bay for the additional M.2 disk

I was told that I would have to order a new workstation

I also had to run on the internet before discovering that once I bought the new M.2 disk I could not mount it

I'm disappointed with Dell, and its technical support that blames you for buying the 5820 workstation and you're ready to not implement it with original DELL accessories

0 Kudos