Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 15th, 2020 11:00

Intel C600 Series Chipset SAS RAID Controller for Dell T7600 workstation

I have a Dell T7600 workstation now on Windows 10 with the OS on a HDD connected to a SATA port. Originally the system had three HDDs all connected to SAS ports in drive bays. One of these is now the SATA OS disk but the other two won’t work on the SAS ports.

I made a mistake in uninstalling and removing software for the Intel C600 Series Chipset SAS RAID Controller.

In Device Manager now, the only mention of SAS is a "SAS Controller" without a driver which couldn't be found locally or online. When DELL SupportAssist analyzes my system it says “No driver updates found. Your system has the most recent updates”

I’d like to know what to install to allow my disks to work on the original SAS ports.

Perhaps drivers on this page will work? When I come to run the first file I get the following screen so I want to be sure these are right before going ahead:

IRST_install_warning.jpg

Grateful for any help - thank you!

15 Posts

October 16th, 2020 07:00

Update: I downloaded & ran the first of the two files (Storage-Controller_Driver_9F51R_WN_3.7.4.1004_A03 EXE) on the page I linked to and then was able to see my SAS drives again.

The only problem I've had since then was with Windows 10 version 2004 update

To install the version 2004 update, in Device Manager I disabled (but left the drivers installed) the device that Windows 10 said wasn’t compatible, (i.e. Intel Series C600 Chipset SAS Raid Controller) then repeated the installation. The install then worked and the device was re-installed automatically after the restart.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 5th, 2021 09:00

The mass storage driver is tricky.  The dell site does not list the actual PERC F6 driver but rather the raid application.

The 3600 5600 7600 drivers download support page should be updated to include the information below.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=JV4JN

https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER01426031M/2/DRVR_AHCI_SCU_Intel_A03_JV4JN_f6flpy-setup_ZPE.exe

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?DriverId=1DV4H&productCode=precisio...

http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER00575768M/9/DRVR_SAS_Dell_PERC8-1DV4H_Win7_X64_WHQL_setup_ZPE.exe

HDD ports 0-4 on this board WILL activate if the PERC H310 card is removed and a device is connected to at least one of the HDD0-4 ports.

The storage controller activated appears to be the integrated Intel C600 chipset 4 port SAS/SATA controller, with PCI ID 8086:1d6b.

This chipset is documented to support SATA III speeds and TRIM but both are untested at this time.

When two or more drives are connected, the BIOS option ROM screen is enabled for "Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology enterprise", with configuration utility available by typing Ctrl-I during boot. SCU Option ROM is version 3.2.0.1022.

When one drive is connected, the option ROM setup will not appear but the controller still functions normally.

When no drives are connected at startup, the controller will not be activated.

All ports 0-4 are activated and usable simultaneously in this configuration.

PCI cards in General DO NOT ENUMERATE properly or install without CHIPSET DRIVERS (F6 mass Storage Drivers) Being installed FIRST.emoticon.Surprise.title

There are 2 fiiles at the link you want the one that is 156K

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?DriverId=1DV4H&productCode=precisio...

http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER00575768M/9/DRVR_SAS_Dell_PERC8-1DV4H_Win7_X64_WHQL_setup_ZPE.exe

'"Windows Setup could not configure Windows on this computer’s hardware" installation error on a Win....

This is not cookie cutter you must extract the drivers and point to them on a USB storage device unzipped.  EXE OR ZIP is not F6 READABLE.

1. Go to another computer that has an internet connection and click the link below to download the PERC driver for your hard disk drive (either 32-bit or 64-bit):
  2. Save the downloaded driver to a DVD or USB flash drive or an external hard drive that can be taken to the PC that you're installing Windows to.  Its an exe rename it .zip and extract the 4 files.
  3. Next, start the installation of Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 and watch for the Load Driver option. You will see this option on the Where do you want to install Windows? screen in the lower right corner.
  4. Connect the USB flash or external drive to the computerthat you're installing Windows or take the Windows DVD out of the drive and put the driver DVD into the drive. (You will put the Windows DVD back into that drive after the driver is loaded)
  5. Click Load Driver, (clicking this option checks removable media for storage controller drivers) 
  6. Once the driver is loaded, continue with the Windows setup.

The Advanced Drive Format hard drive will be recognized and Setup will continue as expected.

Rename this EXE to PERC.ZIP

then extract the 4 FILES to diskette or USB flash drive and F6  point to them.  In windows 7 you "load drivers" from usb flash drive.

DELL HV52W

Dell Spare Part Number (PN): HV52W.

Long Description: PERC8 SAS H310, Full Height 
Short Description: PWA,CTL,SAS,H310,ADPT,FH,PWS

The Dell Driver package says:

Title: SAS RAID: PERC H310/H710P Adapter for Precision Workstations,

==========================
Supported RAID Controllers
==========================
This download supports the following controllers

LSI MegaRAID: MegaRAID SAS 9240-4i/8i,MegaRAID SAS 9260-4i/8i/16i,MegaRAID SAS 9261-8i,MegaRAID SAS 9280-4i4e,MegaRAID SAS 9280-8e,MegaRAID SAS 9280-16i4e,MegaRAID SAS 9280-4i4e,MegaRAID SAS 9265-8i,MegaRAID SAS 9285-8e,MegaRAID SAS 8704EM2,MegaRAID SAS 8708EM2,MegaRAID SAS 8880EM2,MegaRAID SAS 8888ELP

LSI HBA:LSI SAS3041E-R,LSI SAS3041X-R,LSI SAS3080X-R,LSI SAS3081E-R,LSI SAS3442E-R,LSI SAS3442X-R,LSI WarpDrive SLP-300,9212 4i4e-R spec,9211-8i/4i-R spec

www.dell.com/.../dell-perc-h310-spec-sheet.pdf

15 Posts

March 17th, 2020 11:00

To clarify my previous post the two disks connected by SAS can be seen in the BIOS, just not by Windows 10. The disk connected by SATA can be seen in both BIOS & Windows 10. - Thanks.

26 Posts

October 18th, 2020 09:00

It is nice to see that you got Windows 10 2004 installed and working.  It fails miserably for me, and I have made numerous attempts to get it working.  Now Windows 10 1909 October updates are failing for me the similar to how the 2004 update fails.

I use PERC RAID controllers, and this is my boot device.  I cannot disable RAID; otherwise my system will not boot at all.  I do not have IDE hard drives at all.

This is very frustrating.  My T7600 has plenty of power to handle the latest Windows 10.  I just cannot get it to install.

15 Posts

October 18th, 2020 09:00

I'm not & never have been using RAID on this system so don't have experience trying to upgrade a system that is using RAID. If you see the solution to my post  here then that says from the start to make sure drives are not configured in a RAID array. However if you backed up the contents then maybe you could try following that solution and get your system working in Windows 10 using a combination of disks operating on SATA & SAS interfaces as mine is. Then you could restore the contents. It wouldn't be using disks in a RAID array but at least you'd have a working system (and probably a very good one). Just an idea.

Best of luck!

26 Posts

October 18th, 2020 10:00

I appreciate the suggestion, but I am running hardware RAID10 with four 3GB drives.  I would actually remove Windows and install Ubuntu before downgrading to SATA.

I will wait for Microsoft to fix this, or switch to Linux.  I already have a VMWare Workstation license, so I would run Windows 10 under a virtual machine.

Sadly, VMWare has better Windows support than my $7K workstation does.

4 Posts

November 16th, 2020 08:00

@Jim650413 

Were you able to install the October version 20H2 update  in the same fashion?

November 16th, 2020 08:00

Jim, thank you for your posts, which give me hope for a solution!

I have a Dell T7600, running fine, but when reaching 35% of the 2004 Windows 10 update installation, it quits and gives me the "Intel C600 Series Chipset SAS RAID Controller" compatibility error. Most of the solutions I've found online warn against following their remedy if RAID is used, but I do have a RAID-1 array for my data. Your solution here sounds simple enough, but as I am only semi-technical with hardware and OS issues, I am wondering what effect disabling the controller in device manager would have on my RAID-1 array. Is there a risk for me to disable the Intel C600 Series Chipset SAS RAID Controller?

Also, there is an Intel C600 Series Chipset SATA AHCI Controller in Device Manager, too. I assume there is no problem with that, as the error message only identfied the SAS RAID controller. Do you agree?

I appreciate any help or direction you can provide. 

Ron  

15 Posts

November 16th, 2020 09:00

@RonOnThePond 

>>I am wondering what effect disabling the controller in device manager would have on my RAID-1 array. Is there a risk for me to disable the Intel C600 Series Chipset SAS RAID Controller?

The truth is I honestly don't know what would happen if your disks were configured in a RAID array. I would certainly backup anything of value before experimenting. For me, disabling the Intel C600 Series Chipset SAS RAID Controller allowed me to install the update & the controller was automatically reinstalled on system restart. Even though I think my system is RAID capable, it has never been configured to use RAID

>>Also, there is an Intel C600 Series Chipset SATA AHCI Controller in Device Manager, too. I assume there is no problem with that, as the error message only identfied the SAS RAID controller. Do you agree?

Yes - I also have that controller & didn't get any message about a problem with it. I have left that untouched.

Wishing you the best of luck!

-Jim

November 16th, 2020 11:00

Well, @Jim650413, I have backups and I was ready to throw any remaining caution to the wind. BUT in device manager there is no option to disable the controller, only to uninstall it. Same thing in properties for the device. Other items in device manager do let me disable, but not the one in question. If you have any thoughts about this I'd welcome them! 

Did you maybe uninstall, or did you have the option to disable? If the latter, any idea why I don't have that option?

Thanks again.

15 Posts

November 16th, 2020 14:00

@RonOnThePond 

Now you have me thinking. Notes that I made after say that I disabled it but left the drivers installed. But then they also say that the device was reinstalled automatically after the restart. So it seems my notes weren't precise enough & now I'm not completely sure which I did. I guess if I had the choice I'd try to disable it first as that is the less drastic of the options. If that didn't work I'd try to uninstall but without removing the drivers from the system.  I do have the option to disable it now. Perhaps you don't because you're using RAID? I seem to remember getting the idea from a post on the web but don't have a record of it & couldn't find on a quick search. Sorry I can't be of more help...

November 17th, 2020 06:00

@Jim650413 

Okay, Jim. Thank you for your time and effort. I'm not sure how I'll proceed at this point. I may wait a week or so to see if anyone else encounters the C600 issue WITH a raid array in use. Might even try to contact Intel for advice. They were helpful on a previous occasion, believe it or not. Thanks again for your help.

4 Posts

December 3rd, 2020 14:00

Hi @Dryne ,

Try this one : https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General-Read-Only/Windows-10-installation-not-detecting-drives-on-Dell-T7600-PERC/td-p/5136325

It worked for me. The trick is that you have to extract an EXE file as if it was a ZIP. When it's done, you just have to select your device in the device manager and install the driver by choosing manually the extracted folder. Windows 10 automatically detects the driver and it works. It's easier to do it when you already have Windows installed in another disk in SATA mode. If you absolutely want to get Windows 10 installed on the raid controller you have to put the extracted folder into a readable drive and select it at the beginning of Windows installation. My advice : install windows on a SATA SSD and then use you raid storage for data That's what I did and it works perfectly on W10 20h2

Regards

P2jj

573 Posts

February 6th, 2021 09:00

Hi @Jim650413 ,

A thread here listed almost all possible version of Intel RSTe. I tried all those for C600 chipset and the highest version that works in T7600 limited to v4.7.0.1117. Driver and management software version enclosed listed as below:

Intel C600 Series Chipset SAS RAID Controller - v4.5.0.1234

Intel C600 Series Chipset SATA AHCI Controller - v4.7.0.1098

Intel Rapid Storage Technology enterprise - v4.7.0.1098

They work fine on my T5600 & T7600 with Win10 20H2 build 19042.789. Noted that you must install the enterprise edition or hard drives connected to the SAS controller would not exist in OS. Hopefully these information helps.

No Events found!