Start a Conversation

Unsolved

O

25 Posts

December 18th, 2018 05:00

Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver problems

Hi all, A little history of some problems I have had with the IRST drivers (C600+/C220+ chipset)

I have a Precision 5810 and 7810, both with SSDs. On the 5810 it was installed on build, on the 7810 I put in a Samsung SSD later. On both computers I have had a problem where every couple of weeks or so the system with bluescreen with a iaStorB.sys error from the IRST driver. On the 7810 it got much worse at one point, bluescreening 2 minutes after startup. I tried restore and refreshing Windows, but only a complete from and installation from media fixed it. Since then I have had no problems at all. Looking at device manager I see the IRST drivers are no longer installed, presumably because I changed the BIOS settings to use AHCI instead of RAID.

I'm about to try the same process with the 5810 (BOIS to AHCI and RAID off, and fresh install)

Has anyone else had problems with these drivers?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 18th, 2018 23:00

@ordervschaos wrote:

1. but only a complete from and installation from media fixed it. Since then I have had no problems at all. Looking at device manager I see the IRST drivers are no longer installed,

2. presumably because I changed the BIOS settings to use AHCI instead of RAID.

3. I'm about to try the same process with the 5810 (BOIS to AHCI and RAID off, and fresh install)

4. Has anyone else had problems with these drivers?

1. Good.

If you must run it (because you run a RAID) then keep it updated and be sure you are using the proper version.

2. Right. Also, with AHCI, don't load Intel-RST drivers (and app) into Windows.

3. Yeah, I would.

4. Sure. Just search " (Intel-RST) is optional in a non-RAID environment" for that section.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-General-Read-Only/1-How-to-Clean-install-Windows-7-64-bit-on-Alienware-Desktop/td-p/5588705

And yes ... I have some systems using newer Intel-RST ... with proper care, they seem to work fine so far .

February 17th, 2019 08:00

Thanks for the helpful advice.  I successfully switched my 7810 over to AHCI.  The system is configured with a Samsung SSD and an HDD.  When I switched the controller driver over to Standard AHCI, the system failed to reboot.  I was fortunate to find a way to get Win 10 to do a repair and re-install the Intel drivers.  Bluescreen issues remain.  Spoke with Dell support.  They are well aware of this issue but would prefer to stick their heads in the sand.  Not acceptable!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 17th, 2019 20:00

@Dblbassman wrote:

When I switched the controller driver over to Standard AHCI, 

As I said above (or in my links) ... I've never seen that "just work" or not lead to boot failure. Try this:
- Switch to AHCI
- Clean install Windows-10
- Never install Intel-RST or anything like it.

1 Message

August 21st, 2019 06:00

This is a vexing problem for me for months.   I have a Dell Precision Tower 5810.  Dell has sent new RAM.  We replaced the Toshiba nVME drive with Crucial.   Now you guys want to replace the motherboard !   I don't have time to rebuild the system, again. And, every single hardware check utility passes.

The nVME drive never used IRST.   The HD was using IRST on RAID 0 and the DVD using IRST for AHCI.   Set all drives to AHCI, uninstalled whatever parts of IRST would uninstall, and used selective startup to prevent IRST from starting.

When I go to the Intel page, it says the driver version that C600 chipset will run is not compatible with Win10 !   Is this true?   I also found in the Intel RST release notes that one bug that was fixed was BSOD when resuming from S3 sleep.  This I have observed as I had a BSOD several times the instant I touche the mouse after being away from the workstation for a while.

I also found one of my apps was running a background caching service that likely caused the random BSODs.  I disabled that app, and I seem to have solved the random BSOD problem.

Anyway, for the first time in months I got through a week without BSOD.   However, I has a BSOD on startup today.   Always IaStorB.sys.    That file is still in the system32/Drivers directory.   Can I rename it to get it completely out of the execution stream, or would that brick the OS?

Dell needs to step up to the plate on this.   There are plenty of people reporting the same problem.

Thanks!

1 Rookie

• 

25 Posts

August 21st, 2019 07:00

Good morning, I also have problems with those drivers. Since I changed from RAID to AHCI I have a constant upgrade notification in SupportAssist, and I have noticed that INTEL iastordatasvc has increased CPU consumption.
I have an idea that I hope will help me, since I don't use RAID and I don't need Intel-RST. Can I cancel or uninstall astordatasvc? What would happen?

1 Message

August 22nd, 2021 11:00

I have a T7810 with a couple of hard drives (not RAID) and a SATA connected BluRay and the factory DVD drives.

Some forms say that if you are not using RAID you can remove  iaStorB.sys bot other forms say it's needed for a SATA connected optical drive.  I have had no luck getting Dell or Intel to tell me what iaStorB.sys really does.  PS I've had BSOD for many years while under Dell support and they offered all kinds of hardware solutions that were never going to work.  It's only been recently, long out of support, that I discovered that iaStorB.sys was the problem.  But what's the fix???????????

37 Posts

December 6th, 2022 02:00

Old post I know but just adding to it.

If you change your preferred device from RAID, IDE or AHCI in the BIOS make sure beforehand you change your registry entries

Enable AHCI After Win 10 Installation via Registry Editor

Step 1: Press Windows + R to call out the Run window. Once getting the window, please type regedit in the search zone and then hit the OK button to open Registry Editor.

Step 2: Navigate to the following path to find the folders below mand modify them one by one.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\

1. iaStorV

In the right pane, double-click the Start DWORD to modify it. Then change the value of the DWORD to 0 and click the OK button to confirm.

2. StartOverride included in iaStorV

Expand StartOverride and then double-click the 0 DWORD. Type 0 in the Value data field and click the OK button.

3. storahci

Expand storahci and double-click the Start DWORD and set its value as 0.

4. StartOverride included in storahci

Expand StartOverride and double-click the 0 DWORD to modify its value to 0.

Step 3: Boot your PC to BIOS or UEFI firmware settings.

Step 4: Enable AHCI in BIOS or UEFI firmware settings, save and exit this change, and restart your computer. On boot, Windows 1ill automatically install AHCI drivers.

Enable AHCI After Win 10 Installation via CMD

Step 1: Type Command Prompt in the Cortana’s search box and run Command Prompt as administrator.

Step 2: Type the bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal command and then hit Enter.

Step 3: Boot your computer into BIOS and then enable AHCI mode.

Step 4: Save changes then exit BIOS. Reboot your computer.

Step 5: Enter Safe Mode and then reopen Command Prompt. Type the bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot command and hit the Enter key.

Step 6: Restart your computer and Windows will automatically install AHCI drivers.

Otherwise, if all else fails try here 

Switch Windows 10 from RAID/IDE to AHCI - Knowledgebase / Microsoft Windows - Critical Technology Solutions - Helpdesk (thinkcritical.com)

How to Switch from IDE to AHCI on SSD Without Reinstall (asapguide.com)

No Events found!