Highlighted
RayFortMill
1 Nickel

Precision 3630 memory upgrade

I have a Precision 3630 Workstation with 16GB memory installed by Dell. Service Tag <Service tag removed>. I would like to add 16GB more.

I have a 16GB pair (2x8GB) Corsair LPX memory modules p/n CMK 16GX4M2A2666C 16. Will they work? I just want to be sure before I plug them in and risk messing up my computer.

They are DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300, as are the two HMA81GU6CJR8N-VK Huyandai modules that came in the computer.

TIA, Ray

0 Kudos
1 Reply
fireberd
6 Indium

Re: Precision 3630 memory upgrade

50/50 chance they will work.  Mixing brands of memory, even with same spec's, is a hit or miss.  Not just Dell's, I have a home built desktop (for my recording studio) using an ASUS motherboard.  I have 16GB of Corsair memory and 16GB of GSkill memory (same specs).  Either the Corsair or GSkill will work OK but with both installed it will not boot. 

Give it a try and if works you lucked out. If not, it will require all the same brand/type memory. 

BTW, the Workstation section of the forum is the correct forum section for Precisions.

https://www.dell.com/community/Precision-Fixed-Workstations/bd-p/Precision-Fixed-Workstations?ref=li...

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos