Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

117 Posts

February 23rd, 2022 08:00

Precision 3650 change case?

Hi everyone,

Due to Precision 3650 Tower small case too hot during cpu full loading, Can I change original case to Micro-ATX Case with other cooler?(I had a Lian Li PC-A04)

Maybe change UPS if oem 550W USP not be appled to mATX case?

P.S. i9-11900K; 32GB ram; 1TB SSD; 4TB HDD; Radeon Pro W5500

September 23rd, 2022 09:00

The fans are both 120mm

September 24th, 2022 10:00

My bad, the top one really is 92mm !! I guess I didn't look closely before. I wouldn't go bigger even if a 120mm fits, because it will be mostly blocked. I wonder if 80mm would be better for that space because it would be less obstructed

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

September 24th, 2022 11:00

Hi @jp_jackalope,

If you do try an 80mm fan, make sure it isn't advertised as just silent.  That could mean low airflow.  It's why I don't use Kingwin.  There's many aftermarket fans that can wind up some without much noise.  Check the RPM's in the description.  Not sure if you're planning on using a Dell fan or not.

One of my aftermarket fans (92mm) is a 3-speed and I just let it run at full speed.  Something like 2,500 RPM. and it sounds normal.  Barely heard if at all with music going.

Also, a vent being slightly smaller than the fan isn't going to hurt the fan any as long as the motor as airflow.  Whatever works out best for you.

September 24th, 2022 21:00

It's not the vent I'm concerned about but the intake side blocked, which would cause extra wear on the bearings, but maybe not enough to matter. I might try replacing mine with a 92mm slim fan.

With my Alienware R8 I replaced the 80mm CPU fan with a 80mm slim one, and temperatures went way down due to the extra space between the fan and power supply! I made sure to get a Delta brand high speed fan, not a low speed. You're totally right, people buy Noctua fans thinking they can have both low speed and better cooling

1 Rookie

• 

117 Posts

September 25th, 2022 19:00

I found that because the top fan is too close to the CPU fan, it affects the ventilation performance. I think it may be better if I can build a duct to connect the CPU fan and the front fan...

October 2nd, 2022 17:00

I disagree, you don't need a duct and there's no room for a duct. The top fan just needs enough space to be able to pull air, and we need the ability to increase fan speed as I'm asking for in my thread

1 Rookie

• 

117 Posts

October 2nd, 2022 19:00

Air ducts are just ideas, and may also create extra noise?

Believe no one can stand the dreaded full speed fan noise in BIOS settings? I also have to use a speed reduction cable to control the noise of the additional 80mm fan x3.

1 Message

January 2nd, 2023 13:00

@speedstep Thank you very much for that detailed response. You actually answered a question I had been searching for about my XPS 8940. I see now that a LOT of things about the motherboard will not match up if I tried to  move it to a Lian Li Lancool 216 Case..... bummer. Lol

Looks like I will just have to bite the bullet and try to build my very first PC by buying all the components for the case I want. Not completely sure what all to get, so I'll start researching. Wish me luck.

No Events found!