Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

23 Posts

November 17th, 2018 18:00

Precision 380 Desktop supported motherboard?.

Hi all,

I could not find a supported forum for Precision desktops. Anyways I have a Dell Precision 380 desktop I got from a garage sale and it's really slow so I want to put a different motherboard in it with a faster CPU. 

From my past experience with newer Dell desktops, the supported motherboards are usually custom sizes, and not Micro-ATX, ATX or Extended ATX. I found this link for this desktop, but it doesnt say anything about that:

https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/precn/en/spec_precn_380_en.pdf

So I'm just wondering if anyone would know where to look or just in particular if this case would support a motherboard made by ASUS or Gigabyte etc. 

Thanks in advance

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

November 18th, 2018 05:00

Go to the following forum post for more information. The CPU can be upgraded which is a simpler task than trying to find a motherboard replacement that is compatible.

https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General-Read-Only/CPU-upgrade-for-a-380-Precision/td-p/3764296

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 18th, 2018 15:00

The Precision Workstation forum is here.

Dell typically uses customized connectors between motherboards and front panels. So unless your or somebody else has mapped those connections, it may be difficult to install any new board in this old case, unless it's an exact match for the old board.

November 18th, 2018 19:00

Ok so this link you guys gave me says the board in this Precision 380 is upgradable to a dual-core CPU. But it also says that the "E5700 does not sound viable in such an old Motherboard.". 

Aside from that, one guy said the CPU "Pentium D 915" works in this machine as long as the BIOS is version "A09". I cant boot up the machine until I have a proper video input though. See below, the DVI input does not have a pin slot on the side in the center. I have a newer Dell 19" LCD with both DVI and VGA but neither will work with this, because I dont have a cord that can plug into this. Do you guys think I need to upgrade the video card?. Or is there a cord out there I can use to plug this old thing into a newer monitor?. Thanks in advance.

UPDATE: This connection is called a "DMS-59", as found in the link below (answered my own question lol). I think it's meant for two monitors because this desktop was used in a business environment. The only connector you can get for it is a "DMS-59 to Dual VGA Y-Splitter Monitor Cable Adapter". 

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-22077

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

November 19th, 2018 06:00

This system is a dead-end.  Before you start buying parts, carefully check the mainboard for signs of capacitor failure - these systems were built at a time when faulty capacitors were rampant, and these Precision systems were ground zero for failures.

The case and power supply are nonstandard - there's no practical way to retrofit it with a standard mainboard, and anything that will fit the case -- be careful to make sure the capacitors have been replaced.  These are ticking time bombs when it comes to that issue.

November 20th, 2018 07:00

i spent 5 bucks for the monitor cord so when that shows up ill see if it boots. The guy i bought it off of said its "fully operational", and it needs the dust sprayed out with a can of compressed air. 

A CPU upgrade is 5 bucks. RAM?, well thats probably cheap but i havent looked it up yet. But for under $20 I can upgrade this machine. I'd like to, just for fun. I know the risks. Thanks for the info guys. 

April 17th, 2020 23:00

I'm also upgrading a Dell Precision 380. So far I've successfully installed a 500G SSD drive and Windows 10.

I'm looking for a compatible video card with 4G of memory.

Where did you find the processor that works. Thanks for any replies.

No Events found!