Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

3 Posts

February 10th, 2022 14:00

Precision 5820 BIOS Update 2.14.0 Bricked??

Last night before signing off I decided to run the Dell automatic drivers finder to get the latest driver updates.

It automatically installed the 2.14.0 BIOS update and said the PC needed restarting.

The PC restarted and began flashing. After some time I realised it had got stuck at 50%, reluctant to switch it off given the warnings I waited some more just in case. Finally I decided to bite the bullet and turn it off and try again.

Well... the PC doesn't post anymore. The fans come on and the power light stays a solid white colour but no display.

I've tried doing a USB stick BIOS recovery but the screen stays blank after holding CTRL and ESC.

Interestingly when I open the case it sets off an alarm and powers off the machines if it isn't closed again.

Does this mean there is still life in this thing?

Any chance of recovering this motherboard or do I need to buy another one?

4 Operator

• 

1.1K Posts

If using a 4k display, try using a lower resolution one. It's possible you can get some image

4 Operator

• 

1.1K Posts

Try reset the cmos ?

Appologies, I've forgotten to mention my efforts with that recovery procedure.

I tried using a lower resolution monitor via HDMI, no change.

I wondered if my GPU wasn't supported so I found an older GPU. Connected the monitor via VGA, no change.

1 Message

February 10th, 2022 15:00

I had the same. I have a 4K LG monitor and a NVIDIA Quadro 4000. 

I changed my monitor aspect ratio to “original” and plugged the Display port cable into slot 1 on the card. It worked. I’m not sure if this had anything to do with it. 

1 Message

February 17th, 2022 03:00

I removed all other drives to use BIOS recovery on USB stick. 

November 28th, 2022 12:00

The BIOS recovery process using a USB stick didn't work for me. I guess my BIOS was too far gone for the recovery process to work, or perhaps something else was faulty.

I never did manage to fix my PC. Dell refused to look at the unit and wouldn't even sell me a replacement motherboard. Their reason was because the previous owner of the unit was given a replacement unit under warranty, the unit should have been returned to them. Somehow, it's found itself on the secondhand market which is where I purchased it.

Thankfully the supplier I purchased the unit from, even though it was out of their warranty, replaced the motherboard and shipped the unit back to me free of charge.

So, I did get a resolution, of sorts, thanks to the good will of the supplier.

1 Message

November 28th, 2022 12:00

"I removed all other drives to use BIOS recovery on USB stick. "

Did that solve your issue? How did you prep your USB stick?

No Events found!