Precision Fixed Workstations

Last reply by 10-10-2022 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
1 Amber
1 Amber

Precision 5820 NVME Issues

I have a Precision 5820 System that for about a year has worked fine.   I added to it a "ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 PCIe 4.0 X4 Expansion Card Supports 4 NVMe" card with 3 NVME's  Made my first NVME so it was bootable with my Windows 10 configuration.   I has worked great with all my SSDs and all 3 of my NVME's for about a year.  About a month ago the NVME drives stopped working and it reverted back to the original SSD from factory to boot as it was still original.   I found that moving the Asus Card from slot 5 to slot 4 that the NVME's would show up again.   Dell Support determined it must be slot 5 has issue so they sent out a tech to replace the motherboard. Now have a new motherboard in the server and now only 1 NVME will show up.  I even got another PCIE/ NVME adapter card and put one of NVME's in but still only shows the initial NVME drive.   I have tried to downgrade the bios and it will do the main bios but always fails when doing the "ME Firmwra EndUpdate "  part.   I have played with  a variety of BIOS settings to even get the 1 NVME to show up and boot via UEFI boot.   Not sure what to do but suspect it is a BIOS setting somewhere to all the rest of NVME's to show up.   Advice would be appreciated as been playing with this for two days since motherboard replacement.

Replies (3)

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. In the meantime, you may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members.

#IWork4Dell
Find your Service Tag

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session. To send us a private message, click our DELL-Cares username. Our Forum profile page will then appear. On the right, click "Send this user a private message".

4 Beryllium

Hello,

to me sounds like a faulty replacement part (the fact that the slot is not showing all the nvme, and the fact that the bios flashing doesn't work as it should), so I would discuss about having it exchanged again

-----------------------------------------------------
Happy owner of a dual silver T7820
4 Beryllium

A little more clarification can help to see how your system was setup and narrow down the issue better.  So you have been running your system with 2 bootable drives the whole times.  Was the original is NVMe in the flexbay?  

Which slot do you consider slot 5?  The official slot 5 is wired as x4, so it would only see 1 NVMe drive.  Here is the description of the slots order:

1. Slot 6 PCI
  2. Slot 5 PCIe x16 wired as x4
  3. Slot 4 PCIe x16
  4. Slot 3 PCIe x16 wired as x1
  5. Slot 2 PCIe x16
  6. Slot 1 PCIe x16 wired as x8
Latest Solutions
Top Contributor