greenmeanie
1 Nickel

Precision 7820 BIOS update fans run fast

Jump to solution

I have a DELL Pecision 7820 that since I updated the BIOS the fans run loud.

Is there going to be a UPDATE to the BIOS soon because this is annoying when it ran real quiet before the update.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ArnoDell
1 Copper

Re: Precision 7820 BIOS update fans run fast

Jump to solution

I have the same problem. Updated the firmware yesterday and since the fans are clearly audible on normal operation while the system was nice and quiet before.

Changing the settings in the BIOS only serves to make the fans even louder, nothing makes them quiet again.

0 Kudos
ArnoDell
1 Copper

Jump to solution
Some additional info: The update was to 1.8.2, as was proposed by the Update function in the "Ubuntu Software" tool. Today, I manually updated to 1.8.4 using the BIOS flash update function in the boot menu (downloaded 1.8.4, put it on a USB stick). The update once again finished successfully, but the fans are still loud.
0 Kudos
ArnoDell
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have now downgraded to 1.3.3, and finally the workstation is quiet again. The reason I picked that specific version is that the next one (1.4.1) is the only one that mentions something about fans in its release notes ("Enhanced the FAN detection and failure reporting mechanism.").

Of course this means that I am now 3 "Urgent" and 2 "Recommended" BIOS updates behind. Thanks, Dell.

beikesea
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have a same problem. The fans run faster when I upgrade the BIOS from Version 1.7.1 to 1.8.2. I use the system diagnosis tools to check the fans speed. Please see the following two figures: the first one is for 1.7.1 and the second one is 1.8.2. Almost all the fans run about 3-4 times faster. This is the reason why the 7820 with new BIOS makes annoying noise.

1.7.1.jpg1.7.1 BIOS1.8.2.jpg1.8.2 BIOS

greenmeanie
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I am guessing they are going to leave those speeds?

I liked silent running when not pushing the system.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
PrecisionX
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi folks,

I'm considering purchasing a DELL 5820 or 7820 workstation. Just curious if the latest BIOS update v1.9.2 for 7820/7920 solves the noise problem? Thanks!

0 Kudos
BBOBY
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Definitely not - you need to stay on 1.7.1 to resolve the issue. 

I had to downgrade from 1.9.2 to enjoy the previous silent mode.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Have you guys put in service chats/calls about this? I would. They can sometimes forward these concerns on to the engineers. Hopefully. Also, since you are in this boat, would you rather have stability and security with the latest updates or quieter fans with the previous BIOS versions?

Proverbs 4:7 - Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom; Yea, with all thy getting get understanding.

0 Kudos