Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

March 8th, 2018 13:00

Precision T3610 Auxiliary Power Supply for Nvidia Graphic Card

Hi everyone,

I just got this long-waited Nvidia Quadro 4000 graphic card which I tried to install in my Precision T3610.  Ran into issues since the card came with an auxiliary power connector which must be used.  Thing is, I can't find where on the motherboard the cable goes into.  The specs for the T3610 clearly state the computer supports the Quadro K4000 which, for purpose of this discussion, is identical to the one I have. 

The auxiliary power cable that came with the card has a 4-pin male connector which plugs into the motherboard; the other end is a 6-pin female connector which goes into the card (the cable, as I see it, it not even long enough to reach any component on the motherboard).  Would anyone, please, help me sort this out?

Thanks,

Amaury

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

March 9th, 2018 04:00

Hi Amaury,

There are different versions of the T3610, some support the K4000, others don't. Send me a PM with your service tag and I can check what would be required for your system.

Thanks

6 Posts

March 9th, 2018 10:00

Hi Alasdair,

The computer I'm using to compose this reply is not allowing me to use the link for PM.  If OK with you, I can send you the tag information thru this media or PM you later tonight when I get home.  So far, I found an available 8-pin connector on the PSU card labeled "VGA" (had to remove a cover in order to see it).  If I use a EPS to PCIe cable adapter, would it do the trick?  My T3610 came with a 425W PSU; the Quadro 4000 power requirement is 142W maximum.  My workload won't even get close to half the power requirement for the card.

Thanks,

Amaury

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

March 12th, 2018 03:00

Hi Amaury,

Depending on your CPU, number of drives and other components, it should probably be ok. The Dell part number for the graphics power cable is D92C9 (8 pin to two 6 pin connectors) I hope this helps.

6 Posts

March 13th, 2018 09:00

Kool Alasdair; very useful your info has been for me.  i'm now searching for an aftermarket - no way in my right mind I'll be spending the US$60-avarage sellers are charging for the OEM part.

Amaury

September 10th, 2018 14:00

Hi Alasdair,

I have a similar post to this about a T3620. Do you know of any power supplies or adapters that allow standard atx power supplies to be used in a T3620?

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

September 11th, 2018 02:00

I'm sorry, I don't really know anything about 3rd party components and their compatibility with Dell systems. I'm sure there are people out there that have successfully made such modifications though.

1 Message

October 27th, 2018 15:00

I don't think there's a 3rd-party adapter for this particular model (there's 24 pin to 8 pin for Optiplex, but that's a different story).

If you only need to run a graphic card, you can use a second power supply. I successfully set this up with a supplementary PSU (in a dual PSU setup) for my 1080Ti, which is a fairly demanding graphic card.

I bootstrapped my 2nd PSU (shorting its pins). However, you'll find it much more pleasant with a PCB that bootstraps the 2nd PSU for you, such as the famous Add2PSU.

Note that when 2nd PSU is on and the main PSU is off, GPU fans may spins at full speed. This is quite normal (it's a protective mechanism). Fan speeds will resume when you turn on your main system.

16 Posts

October 28th, 2018 03:00

:Cool:

Probably YOU need unlock the pcie 3.0 too. Maybe you will have better score.

No Events found!