Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

3 Posts

June 1st, 2022 11:00

Problem with Dell Precision 5820 installing WD Red 6 TB HDD

I've recently bought a Dell Precision 5820 and wanted to add another HDD into one of the 3 spare Hot-Swap Drive Bays (I think thats what they're called).  Physically installed the HDD without too many issues, but it doesn't come up as a drive in Windows.

Few more details: The HDD I'm using is a 6TB WD Red 3.5" SATA Hard Drive. I've tried it in other bays, but no luck.

I haven't tried messing with the BIOS, as I didn't think I needed too - maybe I'm wrong here.

Suspect I'm doing something very wrong, can anyone tell me what?

Cheers,

KD7000

• 

25.1K Posts

June 1st, 2022 22:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. In the meantime, you may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members.

4 Operator

• 

1.1K Posts

June 2nd, 2022 08:00

Hello,

couple of questions : new or used 5820 ?

And you mean is not being shown if opening the Disk Management ? ( control panel > computer management > disk management ) Because the disk must be first initialized and formatted

3 Posts

June 2nd, 2022 10:00

Hi Mazzinia,

This is a brand new 5820.

The new drive is not shown in Disk Management.

I'm not sure if I've bought the wrong drive, I've not setup it properly, or maybe? there's a fault with the computer.

Thanks,

Karl

4 Operator

• 

1.1K Posts

June 2nd, 2022 12:00

Hi

ok, aside taking advantage of the warranty... there are some scenarios :
- the drive is brand new but fully dead. rare but not impossible

- for some reason the sata cables that connect the flexbays are not plugged, or the power cable

- yes , some fault with the sata ports on the mb

Can you test the drive elsewhere ? And yes, the fact that it's a Red doesn't matter, i have 2 of them installed here, alongside an exos

47 Posts

June 3rd, 2022 04:00

is the SATA port enabled in the Bios for the new drive?

4 Operator

• 

1.1K Posts

June 5th, 2022 04:00

Ah, I didn't think it was just this, because you mentioned trying to use the other bays, in the original post.

3 Posts

June 5th, 2022 04:00

Problem Solved

It turns out that not all of the 4 drive bays on DELL Precision 5820 are equal.  My machine is delivered with the system SSD in the top right bay, and the top left bay can't be used for an additional HDD.  Fortunately the 2 bottom bays work just fine, althought the drives do need to be configured in Disk Management. 

Note that no change to the startup BIOS settings was required.

Posting this as whilst trying to sort it out I found a number of other people with a similar problem that seemd unresolved.

Thanks to the good community people who replied and helped.

No Events found!