Precision Fixed Workstations

Last reply by 04-19-2019 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

SRIOV support for precision 5820 server

I have installed ubuntu 18.04 on Dell precision 5820 server. I have enabled virtualization in BIOS settings but cannot see any option to enable SRIOV. I have two questions:

1) Does precision 5820 server support SRIOV ?

2) Does dell server support SRIOV for x550T2 network adapters? If yes how can we enable SRIOV support?

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions

Hello Pratikvyas,

I didn't see anything about the 5820 supporting SRIOV, but I work servers, not workstations (the Precision 5820 is considered a workstation, not a server). You may consider double checking the documentation, but if you didn't see anything in BIOS, it likely wouldn't natively.

However, the Intel X550-T2 does, according to it's data sheet. I would expect that card to have it's own configuration utility, similar to a PERC. I would watch the system go through POST to see if you get a button prompt to access a configuration utility for the card. If you do, you could likely activate SRIOV there. Our servers also have a Device Configuration setting when accessing the F2 BIOS menu, so you might check there, also.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/network-io/ethernet/10-25-40-gigabit-adapters/x550-...

#Iwork4Dell

View solution in original post

Replies (2)

Hello Pratikvyas,

I didn't see anything about the 5820 supporting SRIOV, but I work servers, not workstations (the Precision 5820 is considered a workstation, not a server). You may consider double checking the documentation, but if you didn't see anything in BIOS, it likely wouldn't natively.

However, the Intel X550-T2 does, according to it's data sheet. I would expect that card to have it's own configuration utility, similar to a PERC. I would watch the system go through POST to see if you get a button prompt to access a configuration utility for the card. If you do, you could likely activate SRIOV there. Our servers also have a Device Configuration setting when accessing the F2 BIOS menu, so you might check there, also.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/network-io/ethernet/10-25-40-gigabit-adapters/x550-...

#Iwork4Dell

SR-IOV requires Intel VT-d support in bios and chipset.

ALSO requires PCI NIC with SR-IOV capabilities aka Intel XL710 (40GbE)

If the device is supported the driver kernel module should be loaded automatically by the kernel. Optional parameters can be passed to the module using the modprobe command.

SR-IOVSR-IOV

INTEL GBE  SR-IOVINTEL GBE SR-IOV

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Diagnostics & Tools

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor